UA goes dark for climate awareness

Ernie Somoza/Arizona Daily Wildcat

Residents turned off their lights and electronics for Earth Hour and flocked to the University of Arizona Mall saturday night to enjoy entertainment hosted by Residence Hall Association. The event featured performances from the Charles Darwin Experience, Elemental Artistry, and Planet Djembe.
Ernie Somoza
Ernie Somoza/Arizona Daily Wildcat Residents turned off their lights and electronics for Earth Hour and flocked to the University of Arizona Mall saturday night to enjoy entertainment hosted by Residence Hall Association. The event featured performances from the Charles Darwin Experience, Elemental Artistry, and Planet Djembe.

UA Residence Life Eco-Reps drummed up some electricity-free fun for the global event Earth Hour on Saturday.

This year, 134 countries, six more than last year, shut off their lights for Earth Hour at 8:30 p.m. in an effort to fuel climate change action.  

UA’s Earth Hour took place on the UA Mall with lights shut off on the east side of the Mall past Cherry Avenue. Lights had to stay lit on the west side for safety reasons.

On the dark side of the Mall, the UA Astronomy Club had telescopes available.

“”They are concerned about lights as well being off,”” said Jake Turner, student adviser of the Eco-Reps and a senior majoring in astronomy and physics, adding that it gave the event more variety. “”It just makes this (Earth Hour) more desirable for a greater number of people.””

Jill Ramirez, coordinator of Sustainability Education for Residence Life, estimated in an email that 150 to 175 people attended the event and 116 signed in to earn Recycle Mania points for his or her residence hall.

Entertainment included The Charles Darwin Experience, Planet Djembe drumming and the Elemental Artistry fire arts performance troupe.

The Charles Darwin Experience has been performing at Earth Hour since it began two years ago.

“”They are wonderful, electricity-free entertainment,”” Ramirez said.

For the event, Eco-Reps gave away vegetarian pizza, a more sustainable option, and shirts made from recycled bottles.

Attendees also had the chance to play a game called “”glow stick ninja.””

Ramirez described the game as being like cat and mouse, with one person trying to tap someone’s wrist while at the same time the other person tries to move away.

Eco-Rep and biochemistry freshman Nicole Williams said she enjoyed the game because it is something fun in which everyone is able to participate.

The game required glow stick wristbands so that people were able to see players’ wrists. The glow sticks were the only aspect of the event that was not sustainable.

Ramirez said they had found a company that would provide sustainable glow sticks but the deal fell through so they had to go with the less sustainable option.

Planning for the event began last semester, Ramirez said.

“”It’s just very personally rewarding to be an educator (and) see students getting excited about education,”” Ramirez said.