BLOG: How to style an LBD on campus

For the modern, college-aged woman with little time and money to spend on her wardrobe, one staple dress can be essential to fill the gaps. That dress is, of course, the LBD. 

Owning a black dress can be beneficial because of how simply one can style and accessorize it. Accentuating a black dress in different ways can really transform one’s look. Here’s how: 

1. WORKPLACE CHIC

To achieve a “smart” look, pair LBD with a tailored blazer. It doesn’t have to be black too, though— it could be gray, navy blue or even a deep red. Throw on a pair of pumps or black flats to give the outfit a professional vibe. Keep jewelry simple and minimal to prevent overloading the outfit. A tote or hobo bag ties the office look together while giving it a pop of color.

2. CASUAL DAY ON THE TOWN

Layer a colorful or graphic chunky sweatshirt over the LBD to create a more casual feeling. Pair the outfit with white Converse or a comfy pair of loafers to further give off a chill vibe. As for jewelry, look for pieces that would complement the sweater, such as a short necklace and a matching pair of earrings. If you’re looking to make the entire look bolder, style the outfit with a statement necklace. Wear a crossbody, saddlebag or backpack to finish off this on-the-run look.

3. PUTTING ON THE RITZ

Make the black dress an important aspect of the outfit. Tie an oversized, lighter-colored flannel around your waist, though, to soften the look a bit. Wear wedges to still keep the look going-out appropriate, though. Frame the outfit with appropriate jewelry. Less is more or more is more — do you. As for the bag — try to keep it smaller. The bigger the bag, the more annoying it’ll be during the night. Try to take a clutch, a wallet or a quilted crossbody style bag if you really need the space. Try to keep the colors neutral.

Plain, black dresses tend to be less expensive at places such as Forever 21, H&M and American Apparel. Whether you mix and match until you find the right accessory combination or stick to these ideas, it is always nice to have a staple piece to build upon in a wardrobe. Maybe a black dress is a girl’s best friend. 

Follow Erica Szpylczyn on Twitter.