ASUA hears report on Bernsen

A report of the allegations facing ASUA President Cade Bernsen was made during last nights ASUA senate meeting.
    A report of the allegations facing ASUA President Cade Bernsen was made during last night’s ASUA senate meeting.

The findings of a student government inquiry into possible misconduct by student body president Cade Bernsen were reviewed by the senate last night, though they were not released to the public.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate did not take any action and no date was set for impeachment.

The Arizona Daily Wildcat requested a copy of the unreleased findings verbally and through a public records request last night, but was told by Jim Drnek, ASUA adviser and associate dean of students, that any requests had to be made today through other university channels.

The senate, which abides by Arizona’s open meeting law, didn’t go into executive session to discuss the report. Executive session, which requires a vote to enter, is commonly conducted by public bodies to discuss sensitive matters.

Though no legal advice was available last night, Aaron Mackey, Wildcat editor in chief, said he was concerned the public was being denied information it is entitled to by Arizona open meeting laws.

By putting the review on the agenda but failing to release it to the public, the senate didn’t fulfill its duty as a public body, Mackey said.

Only the nine senators present and Bernsen were given copies of the report, and only Bernsen was allowed to keep a copy.

Attempts by the Wildcat to get a copy from Bernsen last night were unsuccessful.

The report covered three areas of complaints levied against Bernsen, including missed meetings, failed appointments of positions and improper conduct in office, said Isaac Crum, the ASUA legal adviser who was appointed to investigate the matter.

When asked by Sen. Ryan Montana Erickson about the completeness of the report, Crum was confident the report was satisfactory.

“”I don’t believe I would be able to uncover anything else if given the time,”” said Crum, a second-year law student.

In the investigation, about a dozen ASUA members were questioned concerning the allegations. While not citing who those members were or what positions they held, Crum said no senators were questioned as part of the investigation.

During the call to the audience, Bernsen addressed the senate with a prepared statement.

“”Today, I have asked that the proceedings be made public so that a bright light may be shed on the dark speculation and unknowns of this ordeal,”” Bernsen said.

The senate adjourned for 10 minutes to read the report provided by Crum, but didn’t discuss the content of the document.

The report was listed on the agenda as an information item, which means no action or voting took place. The senate is expected to reach a conclusion about the report at a future meeting.

“”You’ve given us a lot to look over and think about,”” said Sen. Ashley Eden, a public administration senior.