Police Beat: April 4

Two birds, one stone

Two non-UA affiliated men were arrested on charges of underage drinking after police officers noticed one of them alone in an empty parking lot at 12:40 a.m. on March 30.

As two University of Arizona Police Department officers were patrolling the area, they became suspicious of a man sitting in an empty parking lot on First Street and Warren Avenue.

The man, who said he was from Phoenix and was staying at a hotel, told police he was searching for his friends. Officers noted the man’s bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and confusion, and he
    admitted that he had been drinking earlier.

Two men then walked up and asked the officers for directions to the Hampton Inn. The officers asked if they knew the sitting man.

“Fuck no, I don’t know this guy,” one of them said, but the sitting man replied, “Yeah, I know them.”

The man who had just walked up began answering the officer’s question with irrelevant information. He showed signs of intoxication, but refused a breath test.

He was then placed under arrest and became “argumentative and combative.” When police put him in the back of a patrol vehicle, he kicked at a window and began banging his head and shoulders against the inside of the car.

The man who had been sitting in the parking lot then answered the officers’ questions, informing them that he’d had six beers and that he had paid “a bum” to buy him a 30-pack of beer. A breath test proved that he had been drinking.

The two men were then charged with minor in possession and booked into Pima County Jail.

Pissed off

A UA student reported criminal damage after someone urinated on his carpet and door in Coconino Residence Hall at 9:10 a.m. on March 30.

The incident occurred between 12:30 a.m. and 9 a.m., the student said, and had happened seven to nine times over the last month. He didn’t know who was responsible, but said he and his roommate hadn’t had any problems with their hallmates.

There are currently no suspects or witnesses.

Post-party depression

A UA student was taken to the University of Arizona Medical Center due to drinking-induced vomiting at Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall at 3:45 p.m. on March 30.

The student was reported to be vomiting and slurring her speech, with her head laying on the toilet seat. An officer and paramedics went to Apache-Santa Cruz to evaluate the woman, who was then taken to UAMC to be treated for alcohol intoxication.

A different officer then spoke with the student in the hospital at 6:25 p.m.

Although the student admitted to drinking alcohol, she would not say where she had been drinking.

She was then arrested on charges of minor in possession and consumption of spirituous liquor and released to UAMC for further care.