Students study or slack on dead day

To study or not to study; that is the question.

With the UA’s biannual Dead Day tomorrow, some students plan on cramming in the library for upcoming exams, while others have scheduled time at the pool.

Reading Day, dubbed Dead Day, is intended to provide students a day to prepare for exams without being interrupted by class or major events on campus, said Johnny Cruz, director of media relations for the UA.

Students see it as an opportunity to relax.

“”I’d say about 36 percent of campus studies,”” said Daniel Feldman, a pre-business freshman, who did not base his conclusion on a scientific study.

But other students said it is good to take advantage of the day and study.

“”Most of my friends are studying,”” said Anton Novitsky, a pre-nursing sophomore. “”I guess a lot of the Spanish finals are on Friday.””

University officials are making other activities available before finals week, such as free massages on campus.

Representatives from the Focus Healing Arts Center, 6054 N.

Oracle Road, massaged stressed students in the Javalina Room at the Park Student Union yesterday, said Colleen Avender, a masseuse at the center.

They will also be massaging residents tomorrow at Villa del Puente Residence Hall, 575 N. Highland Ave., Avender said.

Stefani Varney, a junior majoring in English, said a little partying on Dead Day could help students let off steam before finals.

“”If you just constantly study all day, you could stress yourself out and not do well,”” Varney said. “”But you don’t want to drink yourself sick or anything.””

Varney said she would be working at Bruegger’s Bagels at the PSU.

“”I’ll probably study a little before work,”” Varney said. “”No one I know is planning on studying on Dead Day.””

The Student Recreation Center will also probably be a popular place to work out or unwind tomorrow.

“”I am going to be drinking and going to the pool,”” Feldman said. “”I’ll probably take a break for a while and hit up the Rec, followed by more drinking.””

As of yesterday, Feldman said he was still unsure whether or not he had a final on Friday.