Police Beat

Minor caught with bottle of champagne

A woman was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol Jan. 18 at 11:25 p.m.

Police saw a woman exiting a vehicle on North Vine Avenue carrying a plastic bottle shaped like a wine bottle. When the woman saw police, she quickly began walking towards the front door of a residence.

Police made contact with the woman, who was in possession of a full, unopened bottle of Andre Champagne.

An ID check showed that the woman was only 20 years old. The woman was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Man observed drinking, urinating in public

A man was cited and released for public nuisance and consuming liquor in public Jan. 18 at 10:20 p.m.

While on patrol near Park Avenue and Speedway Boulevard, an officer observed two men sitting at the northbound bus stop. There was a glass bottle sitting on the ground between the men.

The officer parked his car. He saw one of the men grab the bottle and drink from it. The man then stood up, walked to the bushes nearby and urinated on the ground.

The officer made contact with the man. The man told the officer that he “”couldn’t wait”” and he “”had to pee.””

The bottle the man was drinking from was a 40-ounce bottle of Steel Reserve Beer.

The man was cited and released for drinking in public and being a public nuisance. The beer was taken and poured out.

Minor caught in possession, using a fake ID

A man was cited and released on several charges Jan. 18 at 10:30 p.m.

An officer in a parked police vehicle observed a man walk out of the 7-Eleven on Speedway Boulevard and Campbell Avenue with a 30-pack of Keystone Light beer. The man got into the front passenger seat of a black truck. The officer noticed that the truck had a suspension lift and oversized tires, making it higher than the factory height. The truck did not have the required mud flaps. The officer conducted a traffic stop with the truck at the intersection of Speedway and Campbell.

Both the driver and the passenger gave the police their licenses. Neither one was over 21 years of age. The officer informed the passenger that he saw him leave 7-Eleven with a 30-pack of beer, which was not on the front passenger floorboard. The man said that he did purchase the beer but the clerk had not asked for his identification. When the officer said that he was going to verify that with the clerk, the man told the officer that he had used a fake ID to purchase the beer. He gave the officer an ID with another person’s name and birth date on it.

The man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol, misrepresentation of age to obtain liquor, possession of a fictitious ID, and using another person’s driver’s license. All 30 cans of beer were disposed of on-scene. The fake ID was taken. The officer also went to the 7-Eleven where the clerk said that he cards anyone who is purchasing alcohol.

Fight call results in minor in possession charges

A man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol Jan. 18 at 10:15 p.m.

Police responded to an address on East Lowell Street in reference to a fight. Once there, it was determined that no fight had occurred. One of the men police spoke to had a strong odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth and red, watery eyes.

The man admitted to drinking alcohol while watching a football game.

He was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol. He was also referred to the Dean of Student’s Office.

Man shoplifts to get arrested for warrants

A man was arrested for shoplifting at Safeway, 940 East Broadway Blvd., Nov. 18 at 4:50 p.m.

While exiting the Safeway, two police officers were approached by an employee who said that a man walking westbound out of the exit door had just shoplifted from the store. Police approached the man who was wearing a heavy coat and had his hands hidden underneath the coat. The officers asked him what he had under his coat. He showed them two large bottles of Bacardi Limon Rum.

Police asked the man to identify himself and sit down so they could speak with him. When he sat down, they saw two other bottles in his pants. These were also Bacardi Limon Rum. The man told the officers that he had a couple of warrants. When asked what they were for, he said drinking in public and trespassing. He then told officers, “”That’s why I stole, so I would get arrested. I wanted to take care of my warrants.”” A records check of the man showed that he had no warrants for his arrest.

The man was arrested for shoplifting and taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked on the charge. The manager of Safeway said that the store intended to press charges. The total of the stolen alcohol was worth $73.47.