Former Beatle relives glory days with new live album

Sir Paul McCartney is back with yet another project, this time hailing it “”historic”” and a concert for the ages. Since The Beatles’ breakup in 1970, the infamous ex-Beatle has been credited as the most successful musician and composer in popular music history. No wonder over 120,000 people showed up for his three-night musical extravaganza at New York’s Citi Field back in July.

The CD/DVD live album combo, titled “”Good Evening New York City,”” embodies the richness of the singer-songwriter’s musical capabilities. The new album, released on the Hear Music label, the brainchild from the coffee shop on every corner, Starbucks, comes in several different formats. For the indecisive, the concert comes in a vinyl version, combined CD and DVD package, and a double-CD, double-DVD package.

Of course, you don’t need to be a McCartney fan to know songs like “”Blackbird”” and “”Let It Be,”” which is what he delivers along with a slew of other famous Beatles tunes. McCartney also dedicates several songs to fallen Beatles. A ukulele version of “”Something”” is performed for George Harrison and “”Give Peace a Chance”” is sung in honor of John Lennon.

The concert holds another special meaning for the star. Citi Field sits adjacent to the former Shea Stadium, where he and his Beatle buddies marked a defining moment in their careers by shattering attendance records for a concert back in 1965. Before the demolition of the stadium in 1985, McCartney performed with rocker Billy Joel.

The Piano Man returned the favor in July and appears on the tracks. Paul Becher, a Paul McCartney stand-by, stepped in to create the DVD documentary by integrating stage shots and film from 75 attendees who were given hand-held cameras at the start of the three-day musical spree. For those who go gaga over “”the cute Beatle”” and like bust out singing “”Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Hey Jude”” over and over with large crowds, “”Good Evening New York City”” will not disappoint.

The one drawback: you aren’t actually there. So bust out your best speakers, pop in the live disc, take out your lighter and pretend you are standing among the roaring crowd capturing the essence of Paul McCartney.