Arizona soccer ends Friday evening’s match in a tie against Utah

Ericka Rios

The Arizona soccer team begins to celebrate with the fans before the game.

Arizona women’s soccer played to an exciting finish in Salt Lake City, Utah, on Friday night, finishing 0-0 after double overtime against the unranked Utes.

The Wildcats played with high octane intensity all around. They pressured Utah the entire game, never allowing them time on the ball. There were plenty of chances all game for both teams. Hisey put an end to the Utah attack, coming up with 9 saves at the end of the game. However, on the other side of the ball, Arizona couldn’t find the back of the net even though they came up with 14 shots.

The first chance for Arizona came off a header from Brooke Wilson, who sent the ball over the backline in the seventh minute. This allowed Jada Talley to chase the ball in behind. The long strides and pace from Talley allowed her to create space, but just as she got her shot off, a Utah defender slid in and blocked the shot.

Another opportunity for the Wildcats came in the 12th minute. Sabrina Enciso found herself surrounded by two Utah defenders until she created space with a little Cruyff turn. With her newfound space, she sent a beautiful cross into the center of the box, which found the head of Brooke Wilson. The header from Wilson was a looping ball that looked as though it was going to soar over the keeper’s head and bounce over the line until the Carly Nelson for Utah made an excellent reaching save to turn the shot over the bar.

The Wildcats played with great intensity, applying much pressure on Utah when Arizona didn’t have the ball. However, the defensive efforts of the Wildcats weren’t enough because even though they had plenty of attacking opportunities, they just couldn’t make the vital play in the final third of the pitch to put the ball in the back of the net.

The Wildcats come back to Tucson next weekend to face Oregon on Thursday, Oct. 24 at 7 p.m. They will also face Oregon State on Sunday, Oct. 27 at 1 p.m. Both games will be available to stream on Pac-12 Networks.

Follow Jett Neeley on Twitter.