UPDATE: Pedestrian hit and injured near Main Gate Garage

Zi Yang Lai

Two Tucson Police Department officers talk while manning a traffic cone roadblock on Euclid Avenue just south of Speedway Boulevard. The officers responded to a pedestrian who was struck by a vehicle. The victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries and is expected to recover.

Story updated Sept. 24, 2015, 11:40 p.m.

UA freshman Analekha Chesnick was struck by a vehicle while she was walking near the intersection of East First Street and North Euclid Avenue on Sept. 23. She is in stable condition at the Banner – University Medical Center Tucson, where she was rushed last night. She sustained a broken leg and collarbone along with multiple small fractures to her face and skull.

Chesnick was struck by the car sometime before 8 p.m. while crossing
Euclid Avenue in a marked crosswalk between First and Second streets. The
driver stopped the car and Chesnick was rushed to Banner – UMC. She successfully
underwent surgery Thursday morning and is now alert. Doctors are in
the process of determining if more surgery is necessary.

In a police statement the night of the accident, Sgt. Matthew Faulk of the Tucson Police Department said, “We had a pedestrian get struck by a vehicle. They sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries, and that’s all I can really say at this time.”

Chesnick is a member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority.

“The Pi Beta Phi community is supporting her and her family and wishing her a speedy recovery,” Brenna Mcgill, the president of Pi Beta Phi, said in an email.

The identity of the driver is still unknown.

Follow Brandi Walker and Michelle Jaquette on Twitter.