Police Beat: February 28

Too Slow

A UA student was cited for consuming liquor in public and underage drinking on Monday at around 2:31 a.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a loud noise near Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall. When he approached the area, he saw the student sitting on the curb next to Colonia de la Paz, drinking from a green glass bottle. The student threw the bottle about 20 feet when he saw the officer approaching.

The officer spoke with him about littering and the student apologized. However, the officer noticed that the student’s speech was extremely slurred, his eyes were bloodshot and he smelled strongly of alcohol.

After the student stated that he was 18 years old, the officer called for backup to perform a breath test. At this point, the student became increasingly argumentative.

The student then got in a track and field stance and appeared as though he was trying to flee the scene, but the officers were able to get him to sit down and comply. He then tried to flee the scene two more times. Due to his lack of cooperation the officer placed him under arrest for underage drinking and criminal littering.

The student started to run away but the officer was able to grab him by his shirt. He still tried to flee but was unable to break the officers grasp and ultimately was put into a headlock by the officer.

After he was finally arrested, the student said “Good for you, you got a guy with a warrant!”

The student was placed in the back of a UAPD patrol car and the officer returned to the scene for evidence. The green bottle was found as well as three marijuana joints.

The student was read his Miranda Rights, which he acknowledged. He said that he was drinking liquor that someone purchased for him and that he knew you had to be 21 to legally drink. However, he stated that the marijuana joints were not his.

The student was arrested at the scene and booked into Pima County Jail.

Mystery Extinguisher

A UAPD officer was called to the Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall on Saturday in regard to an activated fire alarm and fire extinguisher.

The residence assistant on duty was conducting nightly rounds around 10 p.m. and 12 a.m when she noticed dust in the air.

When the officer arrived the fire alarm and smoke detectors were going off in the third floor hallway of the residence hall. A Kaibab-Huachuca employee directed the officer to a stairwell and saw smoke that was later determined to be from a fire extinguisher.

The Tucson Fire Department responded and confirmed that there was no fire.

It is unclear who set off the fire extinguisher.

Back Again

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested for trespassing on Saturday at 5:53 p.m.

A UAPD officer was called to University Boulevard after a man matching the description of a man with an exclusionary order was seen walking. The order said he could not be on any property owned by the UA.

The officer approached the man to confirm that it was the man who had the exclusionary order and asked for identification, and concluded that it was him.

The man acknowledged that he had an exclusionary order and was carrying a bottle of vodka, however he claimed he was drinking earlier but not at the time of his encounter with the officer.

The man was placed under arrest for trespassing and booked into Pima County Jail.