Local band kicks off primary elections

Ryanhood singers and guitarists Ryan Green, left, and Cameron Hood bust out tunes for students on the UA Mall yesterday afternoon. The concert kicked off the next two weeks of ASUA elections.

More than 50 people turned out on the UA Mall last night to get geared up for the start of primary elections today and listen to local band Ryanhood.

The concert was meant to kick off the next two weeks of ASUA campaigning before general elections March 6-7.

Some candidates were out and about during the concert talking to people and handing out fliers, although many were missing because of appointments with greek houses to speak about their campaign, said elections commissioner David Martinez III.

Martinez worked with the ASUA special events team to get Ryanhood out to Tucson for the hour-long show.

The duo opened for Jason Mraz last year at the UA and “”everyone really liked them so we asked them back – and they’re local,”” Martinez said.

The concert was also a last chance for candidates to campaign before primary elections that start today and run until tomorrow evening.

Last year 3,691 people voted online in the primary elections.

“”We don’t expect as much (voter turnout) as normal but we remain optimistic,”” Martinez said. “”We are confident that people who are genuinely involved in ASUA and who want their voice to be heard will vote.””

“”Commissioner Martinez is doing an excellent job with the elections this year,”” said theatre arts sophomore Charles Wollin, campaign manager for administrative vice presidential candidate Jen Dang. “”There is more of a positive atmosphere and the freedom to really reach out to students.””

Wollin said he thinks people will start to get hyped up after the primaries and campaigning will definitely be in full swing.

Senate candidate Seema Patel, a biology sophomore, said she is nervous but also excited about primary elections.

“”I really want to make the top 10,”” Patel said. “”It will be a good indicator to know I’m in a good place for the generals.””

Another senate candidate, Mark Copoulos, a junior majoring in history and English, said he plans on campaigning on the Mall from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. tomorrow.

“”For three weeks, we’ve all been working so hard and no one knows where they stand yet,”” Copoulos said. “”The primaries and the top-10 ranking is very important.””

Cameron Hood, a 2004 UA graduate with a bachelor’s degree in studio art and member of Ryanhood, said he was glad to perform on campus.

“”It’s a pleasure to be asked (to do a show),”” Hood said. “”Its nice to be at a college, and evening shows are good because people are winding down their day and really want to listen.””

Ryanhood is currently recording a CD with Grammy-winning producer Ross Hogarth scheduled for release in the fall, Hood said.

Polls for the primaries open today at 8 a.m. and close tomorrow at 8 p.m. Students can vote in the primaries by going to www.asua.arizona.edu.

For a complete guide on the candidates for the ASUA primary election, see page 6.