Wildcats come up huge on the road in upset over No. 20 Oregon

Carmen Valencia
The Arizona volleyball team huddle together hand-in-hand before their final match against Oregon on Saturday, Oct. 1 in McKale Center.

The Arizona women’s volleyball came snapped a three game losing streak Friday night as they defeated No. 20 Oregon, 3-2, in a five set match (27-25, 17-25, 21-25, 25-13, 15-11).

Arizona fought off the Ducks whose defensive skills lacked leaving them to tail behind by one point throughout the set. The Wildcats were able to hold off the Ducks and took the set 27-25.

Outside hitters Kendra Dahlke and Kalei Mau led the team with seven kills each in the set, giving Arizona a .279 hitting percentage.

Oregon came out strong in the second with an early six-point run, 13-8. Arizona pushed their way through the second but was unable to come back giving the Ducks the set 25-17.

It was an easy third set for Oregon as they ran with a 10-point lead, 22-12. Arizona quickly pushed their way closer to the Duck’s making six straight points with one service ace, but it wasn’t enough as Oregon took the set 25-21.

Arizona regrouped going into the fourth set as they had a 11-point run on the Ducks. Defensive specialist McKenna Painton helped the ‘Cats with back-to-back aces putting Arizona on top, 22-11. Arizona took the fourth set forcing the teams to battle in the fifth set.

The fifth set was a battle as both teams continued to exchange points, but Arizona soon took off with a five-point run to take the lead 9-4. The Wildcats held Oregon to a .080 hitting percentage and took final set 15-11.

Outside hitter, Kendra Dahlke lead the Wildcats with 22 kills in the match on a .383 hitting percentage. Libero Laura Larson lead the Wildcats with 21digs.

Setter Penina Snuka set a record for her sixth straight double-double on 53 assist, 13 digs and four kills in the match.

It was the first time in school history for the Cats to accomplish four straight road victories vs. ranked opponents.

The Wildcats next match will be on Sunday at 12 p.m. against the Oregon State beavers. 

Follow Syrena Tracy on Twitter.