Zona Zoo lights up

Coldy Mikulich, a consumer sciences senior, provides entertainment at the Zona Zoo Power Hour Monday night in the Highland Commons. The event aimed to introduce incoming freshmen to Zona Zoo traditions.

When various freshmen piled onto the Highland Common on a chilly Monday evening, they were greeted with four things they will become accustomed to seeing throughout the next four years: Wilbur the Wildcat, the Arizona pep band, UA cheerleaders and the Zona Zoo Crew.

The event, titled “”Zona Zoo Power Hour,”” targeted freshmen students and drew a crowd of a couple hundred who came and went throughout the 60-minute long event that featured an abundance of Wildcats culture from various traditions to songs unique to Arizona’s diverse sporting environments.

“”What we wanted to do is get as many freshmen together as we could and teach them some of the major cheers we do so they can feel more a part of the student section,”” said Zona Zoo development director Hersh Goel. “”For a lot of freshmen, the first time in the student section can feel kind of like a foreign world and sometimes it takes some time to get involved and really feel like you’re a part of (the section). This was a way for us to help them become more comfortable and involved.””

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona president Tommy Bruce opened the night off with a brief welcome message before handing the microphone over to members of the Arizona Allegiance, who enlightened the freshmen with Arizona trivia. The questions ranged from the Wildcats’ former mascot – Rufus – to the last Arizona basketball player to be drafted in the first roundÿ- Jerryd Bayless.

The wealth of Arizona knowledge continued when members of the Arizona Alumni Association shared the tale behind the school’s slogan “”Bear Down”” as well as other significant dates and events from Wildcat history.

“”I thought it was pretty cool and I learned some things about (the school),”” said psychology freshmen Brianna Devlin. “”This was a good idea and I definitely feel (a greater sense of community).””

The Arizona pep band and cheer squad finished off the event by leading various cheers and songs typically heard at UA sporting events.

Then the crowd linked arms to sing the school’s alma mater, “”All Hail Arizona,”” before the event commenced.

Zona Zoo officials are hoping to make the occasion an annual event for freshmen. In the future, however, the night will ideally be scheduled prior to Arizona’s first home football game in hopes of acquainting the freshman with school traditions prior to their first experience in the Zona Zoo.

“”This was our very first time we tried (the Power Hour) so I had no idea what to expect,”” Zona Zoo executive director David Roost said of the event. “”But we had a great turnout; we were very satisfied with it.””