Chase Field awaits rivalry

When the Arizona baseball team walks into Chase Field on Sunday, it will mark the second game this year played under the lights of a big-league field.

After winning two of three in the Metrodome, home of the Minnesota Twins, in Minneapolis, Minn., in early March, the Wildcats (11-13, 0-1 Pacific 10 Conference) will look to duplicate their success Sunday at 6:30 p.m. in the inaugural “”Challenge at Chase”” against in-state rival No. 14 ASU after finishing the final two games of their three-game set at California.

Proceeds from the game will help build a Little League facility in Arizona in the near future.

“”It’s not too far-fetched to think that some of these guys may one day be at a little league field and say, ‘Hey man, we helped build this field,'”” Arizona head coach Andy Lopez said.

The players are excited at the possibility of playing at the home of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

“”I’ve been there once watching a game,”” freshman pitcher Preston Guilmet said. “”It’s fun to play in those pro ball parks, you get a feel like you’re doing something different.””

Added junior shortstop Jason Donald: “”We’re definitely looking forward to it. It’s going to be our second time this season we get to play in a big-league ballpark. Anytime you get to play in a big-league ballpark, it’s sweet, and to top it off, we’re playing ASU.””

The Sun Devils, who head into the game 21-7 with games today and tomorrow at Washington State, are no secret around the Wildcat clubhouse.

“”I’ve heard a lot about it from these older guys,”” Guilmet said of the rivalry. “”I can’t wait to get out there and win. Shoot, I’m not even throwing, but I just want to see what it’s like.””

“”They’ll get a small taste of what it’s like to play ASU,”” Donald added of the newcomers. “”They’ll get to see what the rivalry’s all about.””