A heart, a part of healing

A heart, a part of healing
Zuleima Cota

About 200 UA and Tucson community members formed the outline of a heart at Sancet Stadium on Saturday to commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Originally, attendees were supposed to form a “human flag” with students and university affiliates clad in red, service members in blue and city employees and community members in white. This was not possible because 1,000 individuals were needed to help form the flag on the former UA baseball field.

Kevin Elliott, a political science junior and an Associated Students of the University of Arizona senator, said commemorating the anniversary of 9/11 helps people to remember how our nation has changed since the tragedy and to remember what was lost that day.

“It’s important to publicly show our remembrance,” he said. “Never forget.”

The 9/11 Planning Committee in association with Democratic Congressman Raul Grijalva collaborated with ASUA to put on the event. The event cost a little less than $1,000, according to ASUA President James Allen. The organization funded the venue through the UA’s athletic and security departments. ASUA officers wore homemade badges that said where they were on 9/11.

Kelsey Henry, a political science senior, said she attended the event because she helped the 9/11 Planning Committee organize it, and because she wanted to help remember the “important day in history.”

Henry said that her father had many friends pass away on 9/11, and each anniversary she talks to him about it to help him heal and remember.

“It helps me remember how important family is, and to value everything I have,” she said.

Humberto Bours, a business management senior, said that because he is from Mexico he never really experienced the American “culture of patriotism.”

“This event brings all of us together,” he said. “I don’t get to see this back home.”

The 9/11 Planning Committee used press releases, social media and word of mouth to get people to the event, according to Jose Miranda, a member of the committee. He said the UA and Lowe’s Home Improvement provided a lot of the resources to make the event possible.

“Of great tragedy came great unity and cohesiveness,” he said. “There is no better way to show that.”