Weekend Roundup

UA women’s golf finishes 10th in season opener

Despite a career performance from sophomore Margarita Ramos, the UA women’s golf team finished 10th at the Mason Rudolph Championships this weekend in Franklin, Tenn.

The team carded a respectable 576 even par, but the inconsistency throughout the lineup was too much for the team to overcome.

Although the results of the tournament left much to be desired, Shelly Haywood’s team certainly had some bright spots.

Junior Alejandra Llaneza played well the first day, carding a 72 even par and finishing the event at 1-over-par 145. While Llaneza was solid, it was fellow sophomores Ramos and Isabelle Boineau who carried the team.

At the end of the first round Ramos and Boineau were tied for fourth after both carding career-high 68s.  Boineau fizzled out with a final-round 75 (3-over-par), but Ramos continued her superb play to the tune of 69 (3-under-par).

Ramos’ 137 (7-over-par) was good enough for 5th place in the tournament, her first career top-five finish.

Although the Mexico City native only had one top-20 finish as a freshman last season, her success did not come as a surprise.

Ramos spent the majority of the summer competing in Europe and most recently finished 24th at the Ladies’ British Open Amateur Stroke Play Championship in Scotland.

Despite a career performance from Ramos, Haywood’s squad fell out of contention early on. The tournament was cut to 36 holes due to weather conditions, leaving the ‘Cats little time to make up ground.

The most disappointing round of the tournament came from highly touted freshman Kyndall Ardoin. In her UA debut, Ardoin shot an opening-round 87, the second-highest score of the event.

Ardoin did bounce back with a final round 73 (1-over-par), but her first-round debacle certainly put Arizona behind the eight ball. Lone senior Brittany Benvenuto didn’t help the team’s cause either as she shot 156 (+12), good for 85th place.

— Mike Schmitz

Men’s tennis struggles at Pepperdine

The Arizona men’s tennis team struggled at the Pepperdine Wave Invitational tournament in Malibu, Calif., over the weekend, falling to the Minnesota Golden Gophers in six of their seven matches Sunday.

Only senior Ravid Hazi came away with a victory, winning 6-3 and 6-4 against Minnesota’s Jonathan Hadash.

In doubles play, Arizona found a similar lack of success, losing three matches to Fresno State University.

Two days prior, the Wildcats lost four of four doubles matches to host Pepperdine while taking three of eight matches in singles. Jay Goldman highlighted Friday’s games for Arizona, beating Fresno State’s Mirko Zapletal 7-5, 4-6 and 7-6.

Arizona Daily Wildcat