UMC, UPH renamed as medical services unite

Ernie+Somoza+%2F+Arizona+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AUMC%2C+UPH+renamed+with+launch+of+The+University+of+Arizona+Health+Network.+The+University+of+Arizona+Health+Network+will+bring+together+two+academic+hospitals+and+their+affiliated+clinics.+
Ernie Somoza
Ernie Somoza / Arizona Daily Wildcat UMC, UPH renamed with launch of ‘The University of Arizona Health Network’. The University of Arizona Health Network will bring together two academic hospitals and their affiliated clinics.

The University Medical Center and University Physicians Hospital were renamed and rebranded during a ceremony in front of McKale Center on Friday.

UMC is now the University of Arizona Medical Center — University Campus, and UPC is the University of Arizona Medical Center — South Campus.

The renaming is part of an ongoing effort to bring all of the UA’s medical services together under the umbrella of the University of Arizona Health Network, formerly UA Healthcare, which was formed in 2010 as a partnership of UMC, UPH and the College of Medicine. The partnership creates the first “academic medical network in the state of Arizona,” according to a release.

“We are looking forward to coming together and serving Arizonans as the state’s first academic medical system. While individually we were strong, together we are even stronger and can provide the highest level of health care to more people in the region than ever before,” said Jodi Mansfield, interim president and CEO of the University of Arizona Health Network, in a release.

Michele Barnard, vice president of marketing and communications for the network, said the tagline of the network is “smart medicine.”

“Because it’s really about the uniqueness that an academic medical center brings to this community and to this region,” she explained.

Rebranding was an important part of integrating services in order to find “a look, a feel that really embodies what the organization stands for,” which, Barnard said, is excellence in service across all areas under the new network.

“This is an exciting night for our team to come together and really celebrate the launch of this new name and our integrated organization,” she added.

— Additional reporting by Alexandra Bortnik