Police Beat: Mar. 2

Holy smokes

A non-UA affiliated man, “”priest’s son,”” was arrested for possession of marijuana on Feb. 26 at 11:40 p.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer on patrol stopped a car at Campbell Avenue and Fifth Street for driving with a headlight out.

When the officer met with the driver of the vehicle, he asked the man if there were any weapons or drugs in the car.

“”I have a knife in my pocket and I don’t do drugs; my dad’s a priest,”” said the driver.

The officer smelled the scent of marijuana coming from the vehicle and asked the man to step out of the car.

The officer told the man that the odor of marijuana was probable cause to search the vehicle.

The man then admitted to having marijuana in the vehicle.

He told the officer that he had paid a friend around $50 to get two grams from an unknown dealer.

He surrendered the backpack that he said held one or two grams of marijuana.

The officer arrested the man for possession of marijuana. The man was cited and released.

He was also cited for driving with only one headlight.

PCC student gets tooted and booted

A UAPD officer ejected a non-UA affiliated man from the Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall on Feb. 26 at 7:44 p.m.

The UAPD officer responded to the residence and spoke with the resident assistant.

The RA said that several residents of the floor had complained to another RA that they were not comfortable with the man, living with his girlfriend, staying on the floor.

The residents said that the man had been caught using the shower in the female restroom.

Another officer spoke with the man’s girlfriend’s roommate and found out that the man had been staying in the room most days for the past few months.

The man had personal clothing in the room and sometimes showered with the girlfriend, as did many other residents with their boyfriends, said the roommate.

The responding officer went to the room and spoke with the man and the female resident.

Both parties admitted that the man had been staying in the room on a frequent basis.

The man attends Pima Community College but did not have a permanent residence in Tucson, which is why he was living with the girlfriend and with other friends in the area.

Community leaders had already spoken to the female student about her boyfriend and said that she knew the residence life visitation policy.

The community director requested that the man be removed from the residence hall.

The officer warned the man for criminal trespassing and escorted him from the building.

The man left without incident.

Student tries to pour out evidence

Two male UA students were arrested for minor in possession on Feb. 25 at 11:59 p.m.

On Friday night, a UAPD officer parked in a lot at the corner of Sixth Street and Euclid Avenue  and saw three males walking on Sixth Street.

A short male, who the officer noted looked about 15 years old, was carrying a red cup.

The officer stepped off his patrol motorcycle and approached the group as they walked toward the traffic control box.

The officer asked the group to come back and the students complied; but before approaching the officer, one of the males poured out the contents of the red cup behind the traffic box. The officer noticed the male empty his cup because of the shadow the student cast onto the sidewalk.

After seeing the student dispose of the alcohol, the officer asked the students their ages. All three students admitted to being under 21 years old. The officer could smell a strong odor of alcohol from one of the students but noticed that one of the other students did not have any signs or symptoms of alcohol consumption and did not cite him.

The officer then inspected the red cup of a third student and smelled an alcoholic beverage.

The officer cited one of the students for minor in possession for consuming alcohol, and cited the other with the red cup for minor in possession of alcohol.

The students were referred to the Dean of Students Office for a code of conduct violation.