Police Beat 9/18/2019: Budding Heads

Courtesy UAPD

University of Arizona Police Department officers on the UA campus. 

Resident assistant assistance

Offering help to a Resident Assistant is a nice gesture, but if that help is green and leafy and comes in a plastic bag, students may be better off keeping that offer to themselves. 

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to reports of the smell of marijuana coming from a room in Árbol de la Vida Residence Hall on Sept. 6 at around 11 p.m.

Upon arrival, the officers spoke with a Resident Assistant who told them that he had been doing his rounds earlier in the night when a student offered him marijuana. The RA described the student as a young man wearing a Houston Astros baseball jersey and a diamond necklace.

Later, while walking down the hall, the RA smelled marijuana and called UAPD.

RELATED: Police Beat 9/11/2019: Something’s Off

The RA lead the officers to the room where the smell was coming from, where they also heard loud music and voices through the door, according to the report.

The officers knocked on the door, and a resident answered. She and another woman were in the room, as was a student who matched the description of the man in the Astros jersey. 

One of the officers spoke with the student in the Astros jersey, who reportedly had bloodshot eyes and an odor of marijuana. The officer told the student why he was there. The student told him he had a medical marijuana card, though he did not show it to him.

The officer found a small, empty bag in the student’s front pocket. The student said that it used to have marijuana in it. He also said that he had not offered drugs to anyone in the hall.

The other officer spoke with the two residents and was given permission by one of them to search her half of the room. The officer noted he found nothing suspicious, though the smell of marijuana was strong in the room.

The officers ultimately referred the trio to the Dean of Students Office for a code of conduct violation.

Birthday suit surprise

Do you ever drive home from work with no memory of how you got there? Well this case is exactly like that, except this man did not drive, he jumped a fence and home was actually a pool and he was naked when the cops found him. So, really nothing like that.

UAPD officers arrived at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center at around 1:30 a.m. after an alarm went off on Sept. 7. The officers split up to search the area.

One of the officers spotted a naked man running near the west side of the pool, according to the report. She ordered him to stop and lie on the ground, which he did. 

RELATED: Police Beat 9/4/2019: Boy Band-its

She handcuffed him while he identified himself. At first, he told the officer that he was an employee, before saying he was a student and then later saying he worked in the Honors Village. 

The officers located his clothing and helped him dress. The man was slightly damp when he was initially apprehended.

The man told the officers he had been drinking on Fourth Avenue earlier in the night and had no idea how he had gotten to campus or the pool, though he suspected he jumped over the fence.

An officer took the man to Pima County Jail, where he was booked on one charge of criminal trespassing.

Follow Vanessa Ontiveros on Twitter