Hockey routs Colorado 8-0

Ryan Revock
Ryan Revock / The Daily Wildcat UA Forward Andrew Murmes prepares to shoot the puck at the goal against Colorado on Thursday at the Tucson Convention Center.

Goalie Garrett Patrick opened up his college hockey career with a shutout performance against Colorado in Arizona’s 8-0-blowout win last night at home.

The freshman from Hudson, Wis. stopped all 16 shots faced on Thursday.

“I’ve been working hard and was fortunate enough to get in there and help the team out; nothing feels better,” Patrick said. “The guys helped me out tonight and it was really a team effort; I’m so happy.”

“I like the way he played the puck,” added Wildcats head coach Sean Hogan. “When he gets the puck on his stick, he clears the zone and that helps.”

His freshman counterpart in net, Alex Palumbo was peppered throughout the game, allowing eight of the 58 shots past him.

Freshman forward Zach Morgan scored the opening goal of the game, his first in a Wildcats uniform. His other rookie teammate, defenseman Wil Pointon potted two goals in the contest as well.

Senior defenseman Mike Basist, who hadn’t played in eight months due to a leg injury, made his first appearance of the season. Late in the second period, the veteran slapped one past Palumbo to make it a 6-0 game.

“Obviously when you hadn’t played in a game for this long, scoring a goal your first one back just gives you more confidence, regardless of the team you’re playing,” Basist said. “It felt good; it was like, ‘I’m back!’”

Tonight No. 10 Arizona (7-5-0) commences a two-game series against No. 18 Colorado State (7-8-0) at the Tucson Convention Center. The puck drops at 7:30 p.m.

Rams junior goalie Alex Steidler played for Hogan in the 2009-10 Yellowstone Quake junior league hockey season. That year Steidler played alongside UA freshman defenseman Alex Vazquez and forward Alex O’Dea as well as sophomore defenseman Nick Hinsberg.

“He’s [Steidler] a great kid; we had a pretty good relationship,” Hogan said. “That whole team did back then. It was a great group of kids, so we’re excited to see him. We might get a photo together and send it to the Yellowstone Quake [laughs].”

This weekend features a couple different game promotions at the Tucson Convention Center. Tonight and Saturday is Tucson Schools Night, where tickets were offered to several different elementary and middle schools. The Friday matchup will also include $1 hot dogs.

“It’s exciting, I’m fired up about it [$1 Hot Dog Night]!” Hogan said with a huge grin. “You have to come down and a $1 hot dog; I’m going to have like two or three before the game [laughs].”

—Follow Joey Putrelo @JoeyPutrelo