Police Beat: Nov. 4

Gift-card caper

University of Arizona Police Department officers went to a university parking lot on Oct. 27 at 8:31 p.m. in reference to a vehicle break-in.

Upon arrival, officers met with the owner of a Chevrolet Blazer. The owner told police that he parked his vehicle in the lot at 6 p.m. on Oct. 26 and when he returned at 8:30 on Oct. 27, he noticed several items missing from the center console area.

According to police, the vehicle showed no signs of damage or forced entry. The owner told police that the items that were taken were a $75 Starbuck’s gift card, a $75 Java Juice gift card, and $5 in loose change. The police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Here are the pills, officer

UAPD officers were in the area of Cherry Avenue and University Boulevard on Oct. 27 at 11:23 p.m. when they were flagged down by a bicyclist in reference to a prescription pill bottle that was found.

According to police, the bottle contained seven pills. The label on the bottle was printed with a name, dated “”9-15-09,”” and identified the contents of the bottle as “”Hydrocodone/APAP.”” Police placed the bottle into property until the owner could be notified.

Chevrolet damaged by falling object

UAPD officers were dispatched to a university parking lot on Oct. 27 at 11:47 p.m. in reference to vehicle damage. On arrival, officers met with the owner of a Chevrolet Cavalier. She told police that while her vehicle was parked in the lot, high winds blew over a “”Service Permits Only”” sign. The sign struck the woman’s car and left a large dent in the driver’s side rear-quarter panel. Police photographed the damage and notified Parking and Transportation Services, who arrived on scene to remove the sign.

MacBook stolen from Cochise residence hall

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Cochise Residence Hall on Oct. 28 at 12:07 a.m. in reference to a report of stolen property.

Upon arrival, officers met with a resident who told them that sometime between 10:30 p.m. on Oct. 26 and midnight on Oct. 27, unknown person or persons stole his 17-inch MacBook laptop.

The man claimed that he left his computer in the shared computer room of his two-bedroom suite. The man stated that he had secured the door to his side of the suite but that his roommate had not secured his.

The man also told police that during the evening, approximately three people were visiting another resident on the same floor, and the man suspected that one of these people took his computer, as he overheard that they were in need of money. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Chevrolet driven into wall

UAPD officers responded to the intersection of Vine Avenue and First Street on Oct. 28 at 12:08 a.m. in reference to a single vehicle collision.

Upon arrival, officers observed that a 1970 Chevrolet Nova had collided with several stationary objects.

According to the driver, he had been travelling northbound on Vine Avenue when his accelerator pedal became stuck. The vehicle accelerated off of the roadway and struck a traffic control box and an electrical box before coming to rest against a wall.

According to police, the vehicle sustained significant damage and was not in operating condition following the collision. A tow truck transported the vehicle from the scene at the owner’s request.

Tucson Fire Department arrived on scene and cleared the man for release after evaluating his medical condition. The man showed no signs of intoxication or other physical impairment.

Bicyclist cited for failure to stop, lying to police

UAPD officers were monitoring bicycle traffic in the area of Cherry Avenue and University Boulevard on Oct. 28 at 9:45 a.m. when they observed a cyclist fail to stop for a stop sign.

Officers made contact with the man and told him why he was being stopped. The man stated, “”I know”” and claimed to be running late for class.

Police then asked the man for identification. He told police that he did not have any identification on him, but gave officers a name.

While police were performing a records check on the man’s name, he approached officers and told them that he had found his identification.

Officers realized that the name the man had originally given them was different from the name on his identification card. He told police that he had lied because he did not want to get into trouble.

Police cited the man on charges of failure to stop for a stop sign and falsely reporting to a law enforcement officer. He was released on the scene.