Red Cross to hold UA blood drive

In this September 2009 file photo, Donor Service Technician Melissa Mutz, left, applies iodine to Andrew Devore?s arm before he donates blood in the SUMC.

The American Red Cross of Arizona will be holding a blood drive on campus beginning today and running through Wednesday.

Debra Deininger, communications manager for the American Red Cross Arizona Blood Services Region said they are “”looking for all blood types.”” The drive will begin at 10 a.m. each day and end at 3 p.m.

Those looking to donate can meet at the UA Main Library, where the actual donation process occurs.

The Red Cross said that the process takes about an hour and includes a donor screening, a mini-physical examination, the drawing a pint of blood, and post-donation refreshments.

All donors will receive an American Red Cross long-sleeve T-shirt for giving blood.

The Red Cross recommends that donors eat a small low-fat meal or snack and drink ample amounts of non-caffeinated fluids two to four hours before donating.

Donors must also weigh at least 110 pounds, be in good health and be over the age of 16. Parental consent is needed for donors under the age of 18.

Blood can be donated every 56 days.