Arizona women’s golf sits in second-place tie after round two of Pac-12 Championships

Arizona+womens+golf+head+coach+Laura+Ianello+during+day+three+of+the+Pac-12+Championships+at+Boulder+Country+Club+in+Boulder%2C+Colorado%2C+on+April+22%2C+2015.+The+team+sits+in+a+tie+for+second+place+at+the+2016+Pac-12+Championships+after+two+rounds+of+play.+
Courtesy of Arizona Athletics
Arizona women’s golf head coach Laura Ianello during day three of the Pac-12 Championships at Boulder Country Club in Boulder, Colorado, on April 22, 2015. The team sits in a tie for second place at the 2016 Pac-12 Championships after two rounds of play.

The University of Arizona women’s golf team surged ahead to second place Tuesday at the Pac-12 Conference Championship at Ruby Hill Golf Club in Pleasanton, Calif.

Several players on the team jumped up the leaderboard, including Krystal Quihuis who shot up 12 spots to a tie for 10th place on the strength of her three under 69 performance.

Haley Moore, the day one leader, fell back three spots after shooting even at 72; however, she is only three shots back of the current leader USC’s Gabriella, who shot seven under on the day to card a 65, including eight birdies.

Read more: Arizona’s coaches don’t play good cop, bad cop. Instead, they provide yin and yang to Wildcats women’s golf.

The Wildcats shot eight-under on the day, placing them at -10 overall. This puts the team in a tie with UCLA for second place.

Leader USC shot a 15-under on the day to put the championship seemingly out of reach at 25-under par. With a full day to go and scoring conditions being optimal, Arizona could possibly find itself in contention.

At the very least, the Wildcats have two golfers in the top 10 who have a realistic chance at capturing the individual crown.

Play resumes Wednesday at 9:30 local time.

Follow Saul Bookman on Twitter