Bachelors up for auction to benefit cystic fibrosis

Sociology senior and eligible bachelor Ashwin Lakhi, left, helps sell tickets with communication senior Lexy Keffeler and regional development sophomore Erin Daly to the third annual Alpha Phi Omega bachelor auction. The auction will benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

A community service organization is auctioning off dates with UA men to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation tonight.

Alpha Phi Omega, a coed service fraternity, is holding its third annual bachelor auction in the Tucson Room at the Student Union Memorial Center tonight at 7.

“”All of the donations will go directly to the foundation,”” said Amanda Tosh, a senior majoring in English and the organizer of the event.

A UA graduate student with cystic fibrosis will speak at the event, Tosh said.

The 15 undergraduate and graduate men will be auctioned off for a date at one of the many local restaurants and entertainment venues that donated to the event, including The Melting Pot, Frost, Oregano’s and Chili’s.

The men being auctioned off will also perform two dance numbers that were choreographed by two UA dance students.

Last year, the event was attended by around 60 people and raised more than $1,000. In the past, the highest date went for $120, and the lowest was around $30, Tosh said.

Admission is $3, which also includes raffle ticket prizes such as appetizer coupons, bowling and golf passes and a 5-inch portable television and radio. Tickets can be purchased on the UA Mall today and at the door before the event.

Tosh hopes to have a higher attendance rate this year with the help of their efforts to market more with flyers, Facebook.com announcements and advertising in residence halls and student unions.

Alpha Phi Omega members and some of the bachelors will be on the Mall today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to promote the event.

Betty Kalil Knott, director for the Southern Arizona office of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, said cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease that affects the respiratory track and the digestive track.

The disease is the leading life-threatening disease for children and young adults in the U.S., Knott said.

“”Right now there is no cure for the disease, but our foundation believes that together we will change the term CF to cure found,”” Knott said.