Police Beat

Medical marijuana merits dean of students diversion

A man was diverted to the Dean of Students Office April 3 at 2:31 p.m.

Police responded to the Cochise Residence Hall in reference to the odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When police arrived, they made contact with the reporting party who told them where the marijuana smell was coming from.

When police entered the hallway, they immediately smelt marijuana. They knocked on the door of the room it was coming from and a man opened it. When the man did, the odor of marijuana became even stronger.

Police told the man that they were there because of the smell. The man said, “”A couple of my buddies were in here a couple of hours ago and smoked some marijuana. I’m not telling you who they are.”” An officer noticed that the man’s eyes were dilated and his speech and motor skills seemed slow. Police asked the man to open his mouth, which he complied with. They noticed a greenish brown tint on the back of his tongue and his taste buds were raised. His clothing and hair also smelt of marijuana. The officers informed the man that he exhibited signs of marijuana use.

The man then told officers, “”Okay, we smoked it all up a couple of hours ago. Hey what kind of test did you do on me? Anyway, it’s ok; I have a medical marijuana prescription.””

The man then went into his room and returned with a California prescription for medical use of marijuana.

Police asked the man if they could search his room. He replied, “”No, there’s nothing in the room, we smoked it all up. Besides, I don’t keep marijuana in my room.””

The man was told he was being diverted to the Dean of Students for possession of marijuana. When the reporting party was informed of the outcome, she told police that she knew the man would not allow them to search his room because his roommate had been arrested for possession and use of marijuana on Dec. 11.

Ex-resident criminally trespasses to print paper

A student was cited and released for third degree criminal trespassing on April 3 at 11:33 a.m.

Police responded to the Maricopa Residence Hall in reference to an unwanted student inside the building. When they arrived, they made contact with the hall director who said an evicted resident, who had been warned not to return to the dorm, was in one of the rooms.

Police then made contact with the student and another woman. They told the student that they were there because she was not supposed to be in the dorm. They then asked her if she knew that.

The student said that she had been evicted and told not to return, but she was only there to use the woman’s printer so she could print out a paper. She told police that she was only going to be there for a few more minutes.

Police then spoke with the other woman. They asked her how long the student had been in her room. The woman told them the student got there only a few minutes prior to the cops arrival. The woman said she knew the student had been evicted but she did not know that she had been warned about trespassing.

Police told the women that if they get together in the future it should not be in the dorm. The student was cited and released for third degree criminal trespassing and walked out of the dorm. She was also referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Whiskey yields dorm defecation, vomiting

A man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol April 3 at 3:11 a.m.

Police responded to the Yavapai Residence Hall in reference to a man who had vomited and defecated inside of the dorm.

Police made contact with the man when they arrived. He told them that he did not need medical assistance, because he was only “”drunk.”” A resident assistant came to the scene and told the police that the man was a resident of the dorm.

The man had bloodshot, watery eyes, slurred speech and smelt of intoxicants. He told officers that he drank approximately five to six single shots of whiskey between 12:01 a.m. and 2 a.m. at a friend’s house off campus. After he was done drinking, the man walked back to the dorm. He told police that he had only drank alcohol and he did not do any drugs that evening. During his conversation with officers, the man was adamant that he did not need any medical assistance.

The man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol. He was also referred to the Dean of Students Office. The RA on scene told the officer that they had called custodians about the vomit and feces so they could be cleaned up.