Regents approve coach’s contract, purchase Robbins’ house

Elizabeth O’Connell

The Arizona Board of Regents meet on Feb. 2 in Phoenix. UA President Dr. Robert Robbins will speak to the board for the first time about his goals and vision for the university.

The Arizona Board of Regents recently made decisions on a variety of topics that affect the university. Here’s what you need to know;

—The University of Arizona will purchase a $1.3 million home, located just east of campus, to serve as the residence of President Dr. Robert Robbins after approval by the Arizona Board of Regents.

Robbins has been living in the 3,756 square foot home since last August, which was originally purchased by the UA Foundation at the university’s request. With the board’s approval, the university will now buy the home from the UA Foundation, along with its furnishings.

Originally built in 1936, the house has four bedrooms, three baths, a pool and a separate office and gym. While the home is being used as a personal residence by Robbins and his family, it will also be used to host a variety of meetings and events for UA employees, community members and visitors.

According to the regents executive summary, in purchasing the home from the foundation, the university can more efficiently help to prepare for presidential events and maintain the grounds. Funds for the transaction will be provided by resources dedicated to capital projects, according to the report.

Robbins has been paying rent to the UA foundation via his $70,000 annual housing allowance. Once the home is purchased, he will no longer receive the housing allowance as part of his salary. 

—Arizona baseball coach Jay Johnson has been granted an annual bonus and contract extension through 2023 after it was approved by the regents last Friday. 

Johnson, who currently makes $500,000 a year, will receive his first pay increase on July 1, 2018 in the amount of $10,000. He will receive an additional $10,000 each year on the same date.

As the UA’s 16th head baseball coach, Johnson was hired in June 2015 and has amassed a 121-67 record overall. 

The amendment to his contract also provides Johnson with the opportunity to vest an additional 10,000 units per year to a Longevity Fund, which entitles him to cash payment for the number of shares he vests through 2023. 

Johnson’s contract also states that he is not allowed to leave the UA for another Pac-12 school and he will be allowed the use of a car, cellphone, country and health club membership, tickets to athletic events and use of university facilities.

Along with other recent revisions to the contracts of university officials within the Athletics Department, Johnson’s contract now includes new provisions regarding his responsibility under Title IX. The provision includes details on mandatory reporting, cooperation with investigations and participation in trainings.