‘Gods Must Be Crazy’ worth a look at the Fox this Friday

Fire-stomping rhinos and new uses for Coke bottles are only some of the things you’ll find in the 1980 classic, “”The Gods Must Be Crazy.”” The movie begins in the Kalahari Desert, showing the lives of an African tribe completely cut off from civilization. When a Coke bottle falls from the sky into their midst, an homage to the monolith in “”2001: A Space Odyssey,”” a trip into the world of “”civilized man”” suddenly intertwines the two vastly different groups.

While the first 20 minutes are only mildly entertaining, the movie picks up momentum when tribal member Xi (N!xau) begins his trip to the edge of the Earth to dispose of the Coke bottle. Xi’s adventures bring him to civilization, where he continues to cross paths with Andrew Steyn (Marius Weyers), a clumsy white man.

Be prepared for a documentary-sounding film containing excessive amounts of unsexy nudity. While you won’t be rolling on the floor with laughter, the movie still contains humorous slapstick comedy coupled with a bit of romance. Overall, it’s worth a look if you’re into old-school movies.

“”The Gods Must Be Crazy”” is playing at the Fox Theatre on Friday, Sept. 19. at 7:30 p.m. Regular tickets are $8 and student tickets are $6.

Stars: 3.5
    Runtime: 109 minutes
    Company: CAT Films