Cats strut catwalk for school project

Jake Lacey /Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Collage Boutique put on a fashion show at Maloneys last night.
    Jake Lacey
    Jake Lacey /Arizona Daily Wildcat The Collage Boutique put on a fashion show at Maloney’s last night.

There was not a tennis shoe to be seen last night when UA students strutted their stuff on the catwalk for a late-night fashion show.

Retail and consumer sciences students Ashley Talley, Christine Kim, Lesley Ochoa and Jackie Feidelman organized the show as a semester project for their retail and consumer sciences class.

Working with a local clothing store, Collage Boutique, 919 N. Stone Ave., Suite 1102, the four students recruited classmates and friends to model clothing while they worked behind the scenes, Talley said.

Gift certificates to Collage and to Maloney’s On Fourth, 213 N. Fourth Ave., where the event was held, were raffled off before and after the fashion show.

Dealing with the models’ conflicting schedules was the most difficult part of the experience, Feidelman said.

Feidelman said it was a great experience for her because she wants to work with both styling people and event planning in the future.

“”It was a mix of both,”” Feidelman said. “”It gave me a taste of both worlds.””

Bebe Mehr, the owner of Collage Boutique, said the clothes the models showed off were reasonably priced, but look like designer names.

“”Getting to know the girls and seeing their project has been the best part of this,”” Mehr said of the three-month endeavor. “”It’s been really interesting watching them put it together.””

The models were mostly wearing spring and summer clothing, some casual pieces and some evening pieces, Mehr said.

“”Girls want disposable clothes at reasonable prices that are trendy,”” Mehr said.

Susan Malen, a regional development and retail sophomore, modeled a white sweat suit, a teal and brown dress and a brown and yellow strapless dress.

“”It was so much fun,”” Malen said. “”I loved the fitting and trying on all the different outfits.””

The organizers did a good job of putting it together and put a lot of thought behind the event, Malen said.

Kris Talisse, a pre-business freshman, said his favorite part of the show was all of the different dresses.

“”The models were really great,”” said Talisse, who was there to support friends.

Guillian Ochoa, a winner of one of the raffle items, said she loved all the clothes, but the brown and yellow striped strapless dress that Malen wore was her absolute favorite.

“”(Collage) is different from any other store in Tucson,”” Ochoa said.

The fashion show was a creative and great way to advertise a new boutique opening, said Cassandra Chavez, a spectator and sociology senior.

“”I think there will be a lot of energy and excitement,”” Chavez said before the show. “”What better way to advertise than college students, who are probably the biggest consumers?””

In the end, Talley said she was pleased with the turnout, and she was glad she could create opportunities for Maloney’s and Collage.

“”I’ll be honest, I was really worried at first,”” Talley said. “”I’m happy with it. It went really (well), and there were no glitches.””