‘Darling’ fashions flaunt local designer’s prowess

Siobhan, a playful, urban clothing line for women, is inspired by pinup 1950s and 1960s looks, and Tucson’s community and culture.

Elizabeth Albert, founder of and designer for Siobhan, began painting and sewing at a young age. In time, she had the idea of painting on clothes to make wearable artwork, and Siobhan was born.

Albert’s cool, eclectic studio and easygoing, community-oriented personality complement her designs and artwork. Inspired by Alexander McQueen, Coco Chanel and the movie “Pretty in Pink,” Albert combines her own unique flare with quality, timeless looks to create her masterpieces.

A passion for art and design shines through every Siobhan piece, making it brilliantly unique. Albert’s Tucson-inspired looks and incorporation of fabrics from locally found vintage pieces make her clothing appealing to Tucson’s artistic community.

“The creation process is great, sketching and getting out all those ideas. When I am doing redesign, the most fun part is ripping apart the clothes and sewing them together, there is something really satisfying about that,” Albert said.

True to form, Albert strives to have a positive influence on community members and to involve Tucson in her work. As creator of Tucson Fashion Week, participant in Tucson’s first Fashion’s Night Out, teacher of free designing classes for children and avid vintage shopper, Albert has worked to try and put Tucson on the fashion map.

“I started doing shows about a decade ago and there were not even a handful of us doing them, and over the past decade, it’s really cool, there is an interest in fashion again and you are starting to see a lot of urban and culture on the runway now,” Albert said.

She attributes her success to the recent push to shop local, devoted Siobhan fans, her faithful team of models and artists, and other local designers. Albert’s upcoming show, “Darling I Love You: Fall Fashion Event,” is dedicated to her boyfriend, Neil Denneau. Denneau is the guitarist for local band, Disciples of Prime, and supports Albert’s community involvement as a local artist himself.

The “Darling I Love You” event is named after Albert’s latest collection, and will feature bold, pinup-inspired looks. She will be joined by Jessica Huerta, designer of Madem Black clothing, and a surprise guest. Albert completely transformed the Zuzi Theater, the location of the event, into a stunning, artful environment made perfectly to complement the feel of the show. After the show, various Siobhan pieces will be on display for purchase and guests can mingle with designers and other local fashion supporters.

“It’s a smaller show of roughly around 100 and a lot of it is customers and fans,” Albert said. “It is kind of a big thank you to my repeat customers that always come back,” Albert said.