Dosty living up to the hype early

Freshman Whitney Dosty gets some serious hang time as she spikes the ball during a four-set victory over San Francisco on Saturday in McKale Center. Dosty was named to the All-Tournament Team as Arizona swept through the Four Points Sheraton Arizona Invitational this weekend.

Freshmen aren’t supposed to start for a top-20 volleyball team, as they often need time to adjust to the next level.

But this year, the freshmen on the No. 18 Arizona volleyball squad have significant roles, more so than freshman classes in Arizona’s past.

With the No. 4-ranked recruiting class in the country, according to Prepvolleyball.com, UA head coach Dave Rubio is getting everything he can out of them.

“”I think they are all coming along really well and contributing significantly,”” Rubio said. “”Their roles are expanding on this team.””

Freshman outside hitter Whitney Dosty, the overall No. 4-ranked recruit, has a major role on the team considering that the position she is filling was occupied by three-time All-American Kim Glass last year. Glass wasn’t too shabby in her freshman year herself, winning AVCA National Freshman of the Year honors.

Although Dosty is this year’s biggest freshman contributor, she feels like

I think they are all coming along really well and contributing
    significantly.

– Dave Rubio,
    UA head coach

Their roles are expanding on this team.games are on the team’s shoulders, not just her own.

“”Coming in as a freshman, it is hard to play a really big role,”” she said. “”Hopefully we can step up and be a big part of the team’s success.””

Even though she won’t recognize the fact that she can be a big factor in this team’s success, she appears to be one of the key pieces to the Wildcats’ offense after winning All-Tournament honors in the Arizona Invitational.

Still, she is not the only freshman making a big impact.

Freshman middle blocker Jacy Norton is an example of another young player who may play a big role this season.

In the last game against Siena on Friday morning, Norton stepped up big with three critical kills to help the Wildcats take the game and eventually the match.

Like Dosty, she deferred attention, saying that it was a team effort and she was just put into a good position. She later said that she is happy about the direction her freshman year is heading and is excited about working at her game.

“”I think my freshman year has gone really well,”” Norton said. “”Double days were really tough. I am getting a lot of practice, and it is just putting it to use now.””

“”I think the freshmen have come a long way,”” she said later. “”Obviously we need to gain some experience, and the coaches have a lot of good things to teach us.””

Freshman outside hitter Alanna Resch is also seeing some action.

Besides the fact that she hasn’t made a big dent on the stat sheet, she is still getting into the game and making things happen.

“”We are getting there,”” Resch said. “”We are starting off slow, but we are progressing day by day.””

Junior middle blocker Dominique Lamb said she knows that the freshmen are important to the success of the team.

“”I think they did a terrific job this weekend,”” Lamb said. “”They have a really big role, and we are counting on them.””

Not only is Lamb counting on them, but she is also helping out with things she said might come from lack of experience.

“”When you see them doing something wrong, just tell them a secret that you might know,”” she said. “”I would like to do anything I can to help them.””

Rubio said that he was excited for the team’s future.

“”As the season goes on and they begin to become more comfortable, you will see expanded roles for all of them,”” he said.