Miranda’s Station returns to publish after 25 year vacancy

Courtesy Miranda Station

Group photo of the Miranda Station Club. (Left to right) Names: Marlene Effiwatt, Sam Slonaker, Dakotah Shreiner, Ryan Betcher, Olivia Jones, Johnny Phan. Not pictured: Hunter Hogue, Nefertiti Van der Riese, Aimee Harvey, Mike Baker, Betsie Dries, Lucas Gibson-Rush, Keely Quinn, Logan McCarty, Anisa Maani, Zachary Witter.

Miranda’s Station Art and Literary Review, a student art and literature review magazine, welcomed summer in Tucson by gathering submissions for its first publication as a revived club on campus.

Originally founded at the University of Arizona in the fall semester of 1991 by students looking to publish a ‘zine that would “act as an unofficial platform for undergraduates,” the group put out several issues until 1993. 

Michael Baker, one of the original members of the Miranda’s Station, left UA in ‘93, and the magazine ended shortly after. Baker returned in 2018 to finish his undergraduate degree and revive Miranda’s Station Review. 

RELATED: ‘Miranda’s Station Review’ makes a comeback

The group has since become an ASUA certified club and has started to bring the magazine and its meaning back to UA grounds. 

“We have a lot of ambitions and big plans,” said Baker, who has since graduated from UA but continues to help the group with their production throughout the summer. 

The group averages about ten members per meeting and continues to grow, with students from all  educational backgrounds, according to Baker.

“We encourage everybody to get involved, which is different from the old Miranda’s Station,” Baker said. “There are lots of things to do, from filling staff positions to getting people to help with the magazine and other things we plan.”

Nefertiti Van Der Riese, a new member to the club, brings her experience in publications and writing and producing literary material to the group. She explained that the idea and Baker’s story inspired her to join and take part in the magazine. 

“I was attracted to Mike’s story, it really resonated with me,” Van Der Riese said. “I’m a non-traditional student coming back to continue my education as well.”

Van Der Riese wanted to participate in the magazine to help “fill a gap” that was not being served in terms of literary imagination at UA. She said she hoped she could contribute to the culture and history the magazine defined itself with. 

RELATED: Miranda’s Station Review returns to campus

“I was hoping to help students give other students something creative, like writing students and other artists, something that they are perhaps unfortunately not getting from a traditional curriculum,” Van Der Riese said. 

She hopes to continue outreach through listservs and making a presence on campus, as well as with production of the magazines. Van Der Riese thinks having “all voices represented” by this outlet is important and feels that these magazines will act as that platform again. 

The group is welcoming to all students who want to be part of an organization, practice writing, submit their art or learn the process behind creating a magazine. 

Flyer of Miranda Station
Flyer of Miranda Station

“The magazine represents the unspeakable and artistic on campus and the story behind it is brilliantly encapsulating,” Van Der Riese said. “It can be a powerful voice for undergraduate students.”

The club continues to try to learn the ways of a new organization on campus and figure the publication process out, according to Baker. 

Set to be ready at the beginning of fall semester 2018, the group is looking for sponsorship from local businesses for the magazine and future productions. 

“We’ve decided against selling advertising and instead just to look for sponsorships that we will then list in publications and future events,” Baker said. 

Submissions for the first publication are open until June 15 and can range from poetry to creative writing to drawings or illustrations, according to Baker. 

“I really wanted to get back to the literary craft and this [Miranda’s Station] is a good vehicle for that and for all students,” Van Der Riese said. 

Work for the publication is submitted through email at mirandasstation@gmail.com and Van Der Riese said the club continues look for new members. 

Follow Pascal Albright on Twitter