Men’s golf finishes 12th in Hawaii

The Arizona men’s golf team finished the John A. Burns Intercollegiate Tournament in Schofield Barracks, Hawaii on Friday in 12th place with a total score of 14-under 850.

Friday’s final round was Arizona’s poorest of the tournament, with only freshman Roberto Galletti finishing below par for the round. After being tied for the lead with a 10-under after the first round, Arizona struggled the rest of the way.

“”We wanted to bounce back from nationals,”” senior Creighton Honeck said. “”We tried to play well, but we just made some stupid mistakes.

“”(Freshman) Tarquin (MacManus) played well, but he had no run support from myself or Roberto,”” Honeck added. “”Birdies are plentiful and you have to putt well because pars won’t get it done.

MacManus led Arizona individually by placing tied for 10th with an eight-under par. It was the freshman’s third top-10 finish this season.

“”We had a good start,”” MacManus said. “”But then we blew it down the stretch, we just couldn’t get it done.””

Honeck finished the tournament tied for 27th with a five-under par and Galletti finished in 50th at one under.

When the team travels to Las Vegas on March 7 and 8 for the Southern Highlands Collegiate Championship, Honeck said that the team has the chance to do very well because of the course’s length and the team’s style of play.

“”We are the most prepared team in the field,”” he said. “”Our coaches tell us where to hit (the ball) and where not to hit it. We have all the tools to play unbelievable and I think that we could have a top-3 finish, which would really help us in the polls.””