Men’s golf ties for 3rd at Omni

No. 33 Brian Prouty putts the ball in Arizonas third-place finish at the National Invitational Tournament at the Omni Tucson National Golf Club yesterday. Prouty, a senior, finished fourth individually at the event, shooting 2-under 70 and a 6-under 210 overall.
    No. 33 Brian Prouty putts the ball in Arizona’s third-place finish at the National Invitational Tournament at the Omni Tucson National Golf Club yesterday. Prouty, a senior, finished fourth individually at the event, shooting 2-under 70 and a 6-under 210 overall.

Lucky for some, the number 13 proved to be unlucky for No. 33 Brian Prouty and the Arizona men’s golf team.

The senior led the No. 28 Wildcats to a tie for third place in the National Invitational Tournament at the Omni Tucson National Golf Club yesterday.

Prouty placed fourth individually after shooting a 2-under 70. He shot a 71 and 69 in the first two rounds, respectively.

Prouty double bogeyed on the par-4 13th hole yesterday and Monday after notching a birdie on it Sunday.

If the 13th – “”the easiest par-4 out here,”” according to UA head coach Rick LaRose – had treated him better, Prouty may have tied individual winner Niklas Lemke of No. 21 ASU, who shot a 9-under 210.

“”I blew a ball out of bounds on 13 and shot myself right out of the tournament, I think,”” Prouty said yesterday. “”I don’t know what it was about that hole. To tell you the truth, it’s one of those shots I feel really comfortable with. I just didn’t have it this week.””

Arizona senior Nathan Tyler, who tied for seventh with a 4-under 212, bogeyed on the 13th green in the second round.

Seniors Josh Esler (1 under) and Josh Wilks (2 over) rounded out the scoring for the Wildcats, shooting par on the 13th in all three rounds.

Freshman Pedro Oriol double bogeyed on the 13th in the first round.

The Wildcats shot an 8-under 280 in the final round to bring their tournament total to 12-under 852, tying with No. 24 Tulsa. ASU won the tournament at 24 under.

“”When a team like ASU outshoots you like they did, you just got to shake their hands. They did a great job,”” LaRose said.

Arizona will try to get revenge at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational, which starts, fittingly, on April 13.

Animals on the course

A snake had to be chased off the 17th green in the second round Monday. There was also a dead frog on the sidewalk alongside the eighth fairway.