Arizona volleyball drops two games this weekend to begin conference play

Nick Trujillo
Freshman Kamaile Hiapo (8) serves to New Mexico State University. The Wildcats won the match 3-0.

Arizona volleyball opened conference play recently on the road against ASU and USC. The Wildcats dropped both games and moved to 10-4 on the season.

Arizona State:

Arizona volleyball lost to the Arizona State Sun Devils 0-3 on Thursday night in Tempe.

The Wildcats dropped the first set of this match 20-25. They started off hot, as they quickly took a 3-1 advantage, but ASU would take the lead early and then never looked back. Arizona kept the score close throughout the match, but ASU pulled away down the stretch.

The Sun Devils won the second set 25-16. ASU took the early lead and held it the rest of the way. The Wildcats tried to make a run, but ASU was able to hold them back and secure the win.

The Wildcats dropped the last set 19-25. Arizona took a 7-6 lead but ASU came back and took a 7-8 lead, never giving up the lead from that point on. ASU’s Claire Kovensky led the game with 14 kills, and Elizabeth Shelton led the Wildcats with nine kills on the game. This loss was the first for Arizona in the last eight games.

No. 25 USC:

The Wildcats lost to the No. 25 USC Trojans 0-3 on Saturday night in Los Angeles, Calif. 

Arizona would drop the first set 21-25. The set was close and remained within one point for the majority of the set, but eventually the Trojans were able to pull away. Arizona did make a small comeback, but USC held onto the lead and took the win. 

The Wildcats would take the second set 25-14. USC took an early lead, but after a huge block by Devyn Cross, Arizona would pull ahead to 6-5. After that, Arizona would continue to increase their lead and take the set win.

USC took the third set 22-25. This set was back and forth and each team had the lead at least twice. USC was able to take advantage of many service errors in this set and take the two-sets-to-one lead.

USC would take the fourth and final set 22-25. Arizona got out to a hot start in this set, but USC came back and took the lead. For the majority of the time, USC had a commanding lead, but Arizona made a run late with too little time left in the game.

What’s Next:

Arizona volleyball falls to 10-4 on the season and the team will be back in action at home Friday night against the Utah Utes at 6 p.m.

Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter