Man arrested for planting cams

University of Arizona Police Department officers arrested a former UA student on Friday for voyeurism and surreptitious videography in connection with a spy cam found at the Ina E. Gittings building.

The building houses the School of Dance as well as the UA’s physiology department.

Officers received a call about an object that had been placed in one of the restrooms there on Feb. 14, but when officers arrived the object had been removed, according to Sgt. Juan Alvarez, UAPD’s public information officer.

Staff was alerted to watch out for suspicious activity after the incident.

On April 21, staff members at the Stevie Eller Dance Theater found another device similar to the one seen in February. But this time, staff and officers were able to recover the device.

The next morning they called police and on the device “”were women in various states of changing and undressing”” in recordings from several places inside the building, according to Alvarez.

Enough evidence from the two calls was collected to bring two, class-four felony charges against Bradley Wong, 24. Wong was said to have been a former participant in the dance program and still had remained a fixture in the dance school.

“”We don’t think that it is a widespread occurrence,”” Alvarez said, adding that usually when calls like this come in, it is filming with a camera or cell phone, not a device.

“”It’s fairly difficult to combat a crime when you don’t know it’s occurring,”” he said. “”We just like to remind the community, staff, faculty, visitors to be aware of their surroundings so if they see a suspicious object to give us a call to investigate it.””

The dean of the College of Fine Arts and director of the School of Dance, Jory Hancock, was unable to be reached by phone or email by press time. Students in the college said that they were told that nothing should be said about the incident at this time.

Alvarez said that more charges could be filed against Wong, but as it is an ongoing investigation, more details could not be released at this time.