Wildcats volleyball closes regular season

Arizona indoor volleyball will wrap up the regular season this weekend with two big matches and senior night.

Arizona (19-11, 9-9 Pac-12) will host No. 3 Stanford (22-5, 15-3 Pac-12) on Wednesday night, and ASU (18-12, 7-11 Pac-12) on Friday.

Stanford is known as one of the most balanced teams in the country. Five team members average to 2.00 kills per set.

ASU’s strong point is its defense, ranked as No. 3 in the Pac-12 with .172 opponent hitting percentage.

This weekend will also be the last games playing in front of a home crowd for seniors Candace Nicholson and Shaquillah Torres.

Nicholson is in the Arizona record books for the most career single-season digs in school history.

“It’s something that I’m leaving behind. I’m hoping [the record] lasts as long as the person before me did,” Nicholson said. “It means a lot to me to be part of the legacy of the Arizona volleyball program.”

Throughout Nicholson’s career as a Wildcat, Arizona has never been able to beat Stanford.

“That would be a great way to go out and to get these two wins would mean a lot,” Nicholson said.

The two seniors said they are looking forward to their last two matches even though it’s bittersweet.

“It’s awesome to look back and see what you’ve accomplished but it’s kind of crazy to realize that it’s done,” Torres said.

Torres has contributed with 221 kills, 68 blocks and 56 digs, battling an injury in her career as a Wildcat.

Torres said her goal for her last regular season weekend is to help her teammates beat Stanford and ASU.

“You always want to end on a good note and I think our two last matches couldn’t be against better people,” Torres said. “I’m just glad these are the last two teams that we play just because we want to go out with a bang.”

Wednesday’s match will begin at 6 p.m. and Friday’s match is scheduled for 5 p.m. in McKale Center.

Friday’s match will be available in the Pac-12 networks.

— Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal