Three key stats from Arizona baseball’s 9-1 win over Milwaukee

Ari Koslow

Chase Davis steps up to the plate in an Arizona baseball game against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. 

The Arizona baseball team defeated the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 9-1 Saturday afternoon, taking the first three games of this four-game weekend series. 

Here are three key stats from the win for the Wildcats: 

Arizona’s team batting average .314

The Wildcats took advantage of Milwaukee’s pitching all game as they were able to get 11 hits in 35 at-bats. The Arizona offense continued to get runners on base often which allowed them to score in five separate innings. The Wildcats constantly got runners on early in the inning as they hit 5-8 on leadoff opportunities, which led to more opportunities with runners on. Arizona was able to keep multiple innings alive as they were able to come through with two outs three separate times.   

Eight runs batted In:

The Wildcat offense was able to push across 9 runs in this match up. The offensive attack for the Cats was very balanced with five players recording at least one RBI. Three Wildcats were able to record multiple RBIs in this game with Chase Davis, Jack Grant and Tommy Splaine all having two RBIs. The Wildcats were able to come through in big situations with runners in scoring position as they hit for an average of .385 (5-13) in these situations. They were also able to come through with their only opportunity with the bases loaded to extend their lead.  

RELATED: Four key stats from Arizona baseball’s series opening win against Milwaukee

Pitchers combine to allow one run:

One day after Arizona pitcher TJ Nichols went for six strong innings, Garrett Irvin followed up with this own quality start. He finished the day with a stat line of six innings, five hits and three strikeouts. Arizona turned to Trevor Long out of the bullpen. Long was able to provide good relief striking out three batters over two innings keeping the shutout going. The Wildcats brought Javyn Pimental to close out the game. While he did allow the lone run of the game, he was able to close out the win for the Wildcats. 

Arizona will be going for the four-game sweep of Milwaukee Sunday morning with first pitch scheduled for 10 a.m. MST. Dawson Netz will be on the mound. 

Follow CJ Lala on Twitter