Police Beat

Man uses public computers to keep in ‘touch’

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the Main Library in reference to a male subject viewing pornography on July 15 at 11:50 a.m.

A library employee showed officers how an office window allowed full view of the subject’s computer screen. Officers then saw him open several windows that contained webcam images of partial or full female nudity.

Officers asked him what he was doing, and he told them he was “”chatting with a friend.”” The man was then asked to step outside and discuss the incident. He told UAPD that the images were of a friend. He then told officers that he usually used his laptop but that he recently got a virus from viewing webcam sites and now had to use the public computers in the library to read emails and access webcam sites.

A records check revealed an outstanding warrant issued by the Tucson Police Department on charges of shoplifting. The man was told that viewing pornographic material on public computers is prohibited, and that if he were caught again, he would face arrest and/or exclusion. He was then taken to Pima County jail where he was booked for his warrant.

More than $6,000 worth of items stolen from car

UAPD officers responded to the Sixth Street Parking Garage on July 15 at 5:04 p.m., in reference to a larceny call.

The officers spoke with a woman who identified herself as a student. She told officers that she had secured her car when she parked it, with the rear passenger window opened for ventilation.

When she returned, she noticed the rear passenger door ajar, and opened the door to discover several items missing from her car. The list of missing items totaled $6,656, including $320 in cash, a pair of $1,600 Chanel sunglasses and a CatCard.

The woman was given a victim’s rights form. Police were unable to retrieve any fingerprints, since the woman had disturbed the scene by opening the door.

Man with hot head gets cold feet

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Main Library on June 15 at 4:20 p.m.

They spoke with a woman, who told them that she and her fiancé had gotten into a fight and he had stormed off, dropping his backpack and glucose meter bag along the way.

She told officers she had retrieved the items but noticed that he had taken his glucose bottle and syringe. She followed him to the area around the library when she lost sight of him. She told officers the man was diabetic and bi-polar. She did not believe the man was suicidal but did admit that when upset, the man sometimes either fails to take his insulin or takes too much.

The woman was unable to provide any more leads for policeProxy-Connection: keep-alive
    Cache-Control: max-age=0

Police searched but were unable to find her fiancé.

Skateboarders shake things that aren’t theirs

UAPD officers were dispatched to the vending kiosk behind the Gould-Simpson building on June 13 at 10:48 p.m., in reference to two men shaking a vending machine.

Officers made contact with two men who were questioned and searched. One man told officers that both men had been riding skateboards through the area and decided to use the vending machine. He said his friend put in $1.75, but nothing came out, so both men began to shake the machine.

The other man told officers that they were skateboarding past the machine when they noticed a bag of chips stuck in the machine. He then said the two decided to shake the machine in order to retrieve the chips.

A witness identified both men and told officers that both men made repeated trips from the vending machine to a nearby table. Police found several food items on that table, as well as two strawberry NutriGrain bars and a package of Starburst in one subject’s pocket.

Both men were cited on charges of theft under $1,000 and warned that future visits to campus could result in arrest and/or exclusion. The men were released on scene, and the case was forwarded to the Pima County Attorney’s Office.