Mailbag: April 15

‘Into the Woods’ review effective, informative

In the April 13 issue of the Arizona Daily Wildcat, I read an article written by Heather Price-Wright. The article discussed the Arizona Repertory Theatre’s production of “”Into the Woods.””

I am a student in the Theatre Appreciation class, so this article immediately caught my attention with its title, “”Once ‘Into the Woods,’ be prepared to stay awhile.”” I found this title funny, informative and also effective. It helped me not only realize I need to clear three hours of my Saturday afternoon for this production, but things to watch for in the play.

I truly had no idea what I was in for until Heather filled me in on some ups and downs of the play. Since the lighting, music and costume choices are a main focal point for my assigned viewing of this production, I found this article helpful in giving me some perspective. Heather talks about how some costumes negatively affect the singing of some of the actors and actresses — exactly something I can look out for when viewing the production!

Heather’s article did not bash the production in any way, even though she made it seem especially long. Heather actually gave the entire production team enormous amounts of credit on several occasions for their determination and unique style.

Overall, I was pleased to hear that an individual, who showed no bias or signs of being a theatre buff, was writing an article about a play I have to see. Her down to earth approach, and catchy title, made this an effective article.

— Joseph Nieves, Political science major

UA’s limited degree options frustrate students

The UA needs to provide more specialized majors. The main focus on science and math here is definitely noted, but it frustrates me that a school so medically driven doesn’t offer a specified physical therapy program. I don’t understand how we can have such a successful student-based hospital (UMC) and not offer a major in physical therapy. Physical therapy is used in almost every medical recovery yet UA doesn’t offer it as a career path for its students? The closest option for a physical therapy focus is Northern Arizona University or Arizona State University, which are not medical-based schools. With this being said, it really blows my mind that the UA doesn’t offer this specific degree. I believe the school would have more students come to it if it offered some more specialized degree options.

— Alissa Booth, Sociology major