Police Beat

Ex-boyfriend warned about unwanted contact

A woman contacted police after receiving unwanted contact from her ex-boyfriend Feb. 3 at 6:41 p.m.

Police made contact with a woman who came to the University of Arizona Police station. She told officers that she had asked her ex-boyfriend to stop contacting her, but he continued. She was concerned because she believed that he had gone into her UA e-mail account and read all of her e-mails. The woman did not wish to press charges, but asked that police speak to the man and ask him to stop contacting her.

Police called the man. He admitted to using the woman’s password to get into her UA e-mail account and read her e-mails, although he said that he “”immediately felt bad about it.””

The man was told not to contact his ex-girlfriend again. He said he understood.

Man exposes himself to woman near UMC

Police responded to the area near Mabel Street and Vine Avenue on Feb. 3, at 7:50 a.m. in reference to a man exposing himself.

When police arrived, they made contact with a woman who said that she was walking east on Mabel from the Highland Avenue Parking Garage to University Medical Center when she saw a man with the zipper on his pants open, walking west on Mabel Street. His penis and scrotum were exposed and the man was “”fondling”” himself as he walked.

The woman told officers that when she saw him, she looked away in order to avoid eye contact and continued walking to UMC. She did not feel that the exposure was intentionally directed towards her, but wanted to report it because she had seen a campus watch bulletin about a similar incident.

The man was identified as an individual who lived at a halfway house on East Drachman Street. Police went to the house and made contact with the man. He told them that he left his house, without permission, and was walking on the corner of Mabel Street and Vine Avenue “”looking for butts”” (which he clarified meant cigarette butts). He stopped and decided to “”take a leak”” near some houses in the area. He said that when he unzipped his pants and pulled out his penis, he saw a lady walking by. He then “”moved to a different spot,”” went to the bathroom, “”shook”” himself and jumped the backyard fence to his house and went inside.

The man was advised that his actions were inappropriate and that he would be subject to arrest for future incidents.

Repeat offender arrested for criminal trespass

A man was arrested for second degree criminal trespassing Feb. 3 at 1:50 a.m.

Police responded to the game room in the Student Union Memorial Center in reference to a man who would not leave after being asked by employees to do so. When they arrived, police saw the man sleeping in a bean bag chair. They woke him up and asked him to identify himself.

The man had previously been warned for trespassing at the UA on Feb. 2, 2005. Because he had been warned, the man was told he would be arrested for trespassing. However, the man became unruly because he said he had never been warned for trespassing before. He would not sit down when asked to and was using vulgarities towards the officers. Police handcuffed the man and took him upstairs to the traffic circle where their patrol car was waiting. The man was told to sit on a bench and, if he could relax and comply with police orders, he would be cited and released. The man said that he understood, but was still uncooperative, stating repeatedly that he had not been warned for trespassing before. The man became increasingly agitated, stood up and began yelling. He refused to sit back down when asked, so officers “”sat him back down.”” The man then became uncooperative while police were trying to ask him questions regarding the citation he was being given.

The man was taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked for second degree criminal trespass.

Employee receives threatening phone calls

Police responded to the Music building in reference to an employee receiving threatening calls Feb. 4 at 8:21 a.m.

When they arrived, police made contact with an employee in the Music building who said that threatening messages had been left at the front desk for another employee. Police listened to the messages. They were from a man who said that the employee owed him money. He sounded upset and kept saying that the employee was going to pay him back.

Police then made contact with the employee who the voicemails were for. He told them that he did know the man that had left the voicemails. They had been in a band together “”a few years back.”” He said he did not know why the man had called and that he did not owe him any money. The employee told officers that he wanted to get a restraining order against the man. Police told him to go to the court and get one. He was also advised that he needed to contact the man and tell him not to call or contact him anymore.

Police tried to contact the man who had left the messages, but were unable to reach him. The incident was documented.