Key stats from Arizona baseball’s victory against Oregon

Danielle Main

The Arizona baseball team gets ready to play against Washington State on Saturday, April 9 at Hi Corbett Field. The Final score was a 6-5 loss for the Wildcats. 

The Arizona baseball team got the win against Oregon by a score of 8-5 in their first matchup of the Pac-12 tournament. Here are a few key stats from the victory.

Three Home Runs for the Wildcats

After combining for just one total homerun as a team in their recent series loss to Oregon, Arizona was able to collect three yesterday. Chase Davis led off the second inning with a double to left-center field and was brought in to score on a Garen Caulfield homer to left. Daniel Susac then hit a solo home run to left in the next inning to make it 3-0 Arizona. With Nik McClaughry on base in the top of the ninth, Susac extended the lead to 8-5 with his second homer of the day to left field.

Six Arizona Pitchers Combine for Six runs

Dawson Netz was the opener on the mound for the Wildcats and he would be the first of many pitchers Oregon would see on the day. He made it until the bottom of the third inning and was responsible for the two runs that scored after he was replaced by Javyn Pimental. Chris Barraza entered in the fifth inning and let up a 3-run-homer in the sixth to Oregon’s Anthony Hall. Quinn Flanagan let up four hits but escaped with no runs in his two innings pitched and Trevor Long secured the win after letting up one run in the bottom of the ninth.

Two Insurance Runs added Late

Entering the top of the ninth inning holding on by a score of 6-5, the Wildcats looked to add a couple runs to give closer Trevor Long some breathing room. Nik McClaughry led off the inning and sent his only hit of the day through the right side for a single. Daniel Susac then stepped to the plate and lifted a homer to left field, his second of the day which gave Arizona an 8-5 lead.

Arizona now moves on to face the Stanford Cardinal today at 4:45 P.M. MST.