OPINION: Students need to get involved in the fight for climate change outside Earth Day 2022

Lauren Trench

Environmentalists gather to protest climate change in El Presidio Park in downtown Tucson, Arizona., on Friday, Sept. 20, 2019. 

After an alarming Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report was released this past week, videos of scientists protesting around the world have since gone viral across all social media platforms. Including one of NASA’s climate scientists Peter Kalmus pleading, “we’re going to lose everything. We’re not joking. We’re not lying and we’re not exaggerating,” as he stood outside of the JP Morgan building in Los Angeles. 

Most college students understand the devastating impacts of climate change and the action that needs to be taken to mitigate irreversible damage. The protests across the world over this last week have been scary and many feel like they need to begin contributing to help be a part of the solution to this ongoing crisis. However, several do not know where to begin, how to take action or how to get involved. Fortunately, Earth Day 2022 is on April 22 and there are several upcoming events where students can learn how to take action in their individual lives and on a larger level. 

Earth Day is a significant holiday each year because it’s used to acknowledge the problems our society faces with climate change while also encouraging more support across the globe for protecting our environment and creating positive change. Earth Day is extremely crucial in regard to the climate emergency because, in order to legislate fundamental change, our governments must realize the urge to have environmental issues be at the head of policy decisions.

At the University of Arizona organizations like Students For Sustainability and UA Divest are planning events centered around Earth Day throughout the week that are open to all students. Even if students are not a part of these organizations, it is important that all take time to educate themselves on the climate crisis and ways that they can improve their individual lives in order to live more sustainably. It is equally important to learn about ways that we can all advocate for sustainable practices in the local, national and global communities. 

Some events that are occurring this upcoming week include an environmental summit on April 21 at 11 a.m. at the UA Alumni Plaza and the UA Mall stage. According to UA SFS, the summit allows students to, “meet the student organizations, institutes, and community groups behind the scenes and listen to speakers.” There is also an Earth Day Panel discussion on April 22 at 1 p.m. in room S107 in the UA’s Environmental and Natural Resources 2 building. 

Climate change and the crisis that we are currently in right now is something we cannot face alone. Everyone can find a role to play in this fight. There are multiple methods to reduce your own personal footprint and there are also many ways to get involved at the community level. It is important that we begin to get involved in any way possible, no matter what we study or where we are. If you need more information on the impacts of climate change, resources for combating climate change or how to get involved and educated, the UA has several resources to reach out to, including the Office of Sustainability, UA SFS and UA Divest. 

Follow Sophia Hammer on Twitter 

Sophia is a freshman majoring in family studies & human development and global studies. She loves to write pieces concerning politics that affect the Tucson and UA community.