Bats come alive for softball in fall finale

Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Pima at UofA. 15 to 1 UofA
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat Pima at UofA. 15 to 1 UofA

The Arizona softball team ended its undefeated fall season in dominating fashion, defeating Pima Community College last night by a score of 15-1 after six innings.

Although they didn’t need much run support with freshman sensation Kenzie Fowler on the mound, the Wildcats put together some impressive at-bats, resulting in eight hits and four home runs.

“”I thought we had some good at-bats and made some good adjustments,”” said head coach Mike Candrea. “”I saw some good things (last night), so I was pretty excited to see some of the at-bats we had.””

The Wildcats’ scoring barrage began in the bottom of the second inning when it was none other than Fowler who drove one deep over the center field wall to put the Wildcats up 2-0.

“”That was exciting,”” Fowler said of her first home run of the fall. “”That was my goal in the fall, was to hit a home run or just get a really good hit, so that was really fun.””

In addition to her home run, Fowler pitched four phenomenal innings, allowing zero base runners and striking out eight.

Although Fowler needed little help, the Wildcats continued their offensive dominance by way of their bats. In the third inning, the Wildcats posted six runs, ending with back-to-back home runs from sophomore catcher Lini Koria and freshman infielder Baillie Kirker.

Koria’s home run was a grand slam that actually caromed off of a brick wall well beyond center field.

“”I’ve never hit a ball that far,”” Koria said. “”But I was just trying to do my job and help out the team, and the outcome just happened to be a home run.””

No one was more excited about the team’s offensive performance than sophomore Alicia Banks. After coming into the game hitless in the fall, she smashed a grand slam in the bottom of the fourth inning to put the ‘Cats up 12-0.

For Banks, the slump-busting blast couldn’t have come at a better time.

“”I was stressing all fall because I knew I was better than that,”” Banks said. “”I just had to relax, and I worked with coach a lot in practice so it really paid off.””

The Wildcats poured on five more runs to finish off Pima Community College 15-1.

Candrea’s squad finished the fall with a 7-0 record, giving up only three runs over the course of seven games. Now the team will take a four-month break from live action until the spring season begins in February.

“”Right now, it’s just a matter of continuing to work hard,”” Candrea said. “”This is kind of an indication of where we’re at right now, but I expect us to be a little further come February.””