Arizona football eliminates bowl game chances with loss against Utah

Colin+schooler+%287%29+making+a+tackle+on+senior+night+vs+Utah.+
Ana Beltran
Colin schooler (7) making a tackle on senior night vs Utah.

After a grueling past month of Arizona football, matters only became worse tonight after the Wildcats dropped their sixth consecutive game of the season to the Utah Utes with a 7-35 loss.

The story of the night was Arizona’s inability to move down the field. After four quarters, the Wildcats were only able to get a total of 135 yards compared to Utah’s total of 517 yards.

RELATED: Arizona football trails Utah at halftime on Senior Night

After getting his third career start, true freshman Grant Gunnell threw for a total of 96 yards on 8-for-18 completions. Gunnell was able to run in a touchdown late in the fourth quarter to put Arizona on the board in what seemed like garbage time.

On his night, Khalil Tate threw for 39 yards on 6-for-11 completions and ran for a total of four yards on one carry. The senior wasn’t able to make a miracle happen in his last home game while playing at Arizona. JJ Taylor led the way for Arizona, rushing with 33 yards on 10 carries, which totaled out to be about half of Arizona’s total rushing yards.

After their loss against the Utes tonight, the Wildcats have officially eliminated their chances at playing in a bowl game this year. Arizona moves to 4-7 on the season and 2-6 in conference play.

“We weren’t on our A-game today, so we’re gonna go back look at the film and try to improve for ASU next week,” said redshirt senior Cedric Peterson.

Catch the Wildcats back in action next Saturday, Nov. 30 on the road in Tempe as they take on the Sun Devils for the annual Territorial Cup.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter