“On the spot: Matt Flannes, Near Eastern studies graduate student”

Did you hear about what’s going on with Jenna Bush, one of former President George W. Bush’s kids?

I did not.

She’s going to be a correspondent for the “”Today”” show on NBC. Does she seem qualified for being a TV reporter?

She obviously has a lot of connections, but I don’t think the level of journalistic integrity at the “”Today”” show is really up to par with where they need to go. It’s a perfect example of info-tainment. I was a journalism major as an undergrad so this hits close to home, but she’s a recognizable face and that will get ratings.

Apparently, she was on the show with her mom when her picture book came out and they liked her so that’s why they gave her a job. I think it’s just because she’s Bush’s daughter and she’s kind of hot.

Yeah, both of those things definitely help. For sure.

Does it bother you that, in today’s economy, people get jobs based on stuff like that?

It’s kind of a reality that I’ve accepted a long time ago. It’s not so much a meritocracy; it’s a who-you-know-tocracy or whatever that would be. But yeah, as somebody who really wanted to be a journalist for a while that kind of stuff pisses me off.

I mean, you’re a pretty good-looking dude, and being a grad student you might have more education than her. Doesn’t that make you more qualified than she is?

(Laughs). I mean, couldn’t you say the same thing about the second Bush and his run at being president or being governor? He was a pretty affable guy who’s dad was a former director of the CIA and former president, but my dad was not the president so I don’t go to those cocktail parties.