HUB ice cream takes over Congress

Bill Mason, Cat Tran Driver (Brown hair) Dennis Cady, Cat Tran Driver (black and white striped shirt) AJ Dowgiert, Cat Tran Driver (Plaid/Checkered Shirt)

The counter at HUB Ice Cream Factory is lined with rich coffee ice cream flecked with chunks of glazed and chocolate doughnuts, maple butter ice cream with a ribbon of blueberry compote, and snicker doodle cookie engulfed in horchata ice cream.

These are just a few of the flavors you can experience since the Factory’s May 22 grand opening, a landmark expansion of the popular HUB Restaurant and Ice Creamery.

HUB is synonymous with elevated comfort foods such as lobster mac and cheese, and prime-rib-smothered french fries. But it’s their diverse array of house-made ice cream flavors that keep people coming back for more.

The small space at the original restaurant couldn’t contain the public’s demand for ice cream, so HUB Ice Cream Factory was opened across the street.

“This has been in the works for a while now, and we’re so excited to finally open to the public,” said general manager Sarahi Rodriguez.

HUB uses local ingredients and unique flavor combinations to evoke childhood memories and transport people back in time. Rodriguez noted how she loves to see families come in and ask for flavors they remember having in the past. “It’s nice to see that people remember,” she said.

Darla Greer, a local Tucsonan, said she is excited by HUB’s expansion. “When we are downtown, we always have to go to the HUB for the ice cream,” Greer said. She and her daughter, Corrin, enjoy the variety of unique flavors. Corrin’s current favorite is the after-school snack, which is a combination of banana ice cream, peanut butter fudge and animal crackers covered in white chocolate.

HUB Ice Cream Factory allows people to create their own ice cream experience, whether it’s a personalized milkshake or an ice cream float. The factory also has custom ice cream sandwiches with various flavors of cookies and brownies, including vegan ice cream options.

HUB Factory chefs are constantly creating new flavors and taking advantage of Tucson’s seasonal ingredients. Rodriguez explains that a root beer float flavored ice cream is in the works, just in time for the summer season. Fresh fruit sorbets and ice creams such as the strawberry and passion fruit swirl are expected to be a big hit for the warmer months.

HUB Factory uses old-school style and fresh interpretations to create the perfect summer treat. Rodriguez said she is excited for the future of the Factory, and hopes that Tucson will embrace “what the creative minds in the back have in store for us.”