Laxcats win 2 in Utah

The No. 15 Arizona men’s club lacrosse team won two out of three in the squad’s first road trip of the year.

The Laxcats (3-1) topped No. 5 Brigham Young (1-4) 9-7 Friday for the biggest win of the weekend.

Even though the Laxcats won two out of the three, including one against the No. 5 team, Arizona head coach Kenny Broschart said he wasn’t happy with the team’s overall performance.

“”Our weekend was not good, it was terrible,”” Broschart said. “”We need to work on team unity, and we need to start playing like veterans.””

He said that the defense was better overall this weekend, but they still have plenty of work to do when it comes to the upcoming games.

Broschart wasn’t the only one unhappy following the final game, as senior defensive midfielder Carson Parmelee, the defensive captain, said he was extremely upset by the results of yesterday’s game.

“”Winning at No. 5 BYU was a great victory, but losing … (yesterday) kind of erases that big accomplishment,”” Parmelee said. “”This loss really opened up our eyes.””

Sophomore attackman Jason Gustafson scored two goals and sophomore Eric Poole added one goal and one assist at BYU Friday night.

“”We played hard at BYU,”” Broschart said.

Parmelee also said he believes his team played tough.

“”Both teams played tough, and we played in some scrappy games this weekend,”” Parmalee said.

The Laxcats won the second game of the three by topping Utah Valley State College (1-1) 17-10, handing them their first loss on the season.

The Laxcats put UVSC in an early hole by taking a 7-2 lead into the second quarter and never looked back. Poole had four goals and one assist and senior midfielder Steve Luna had two goals and three assists.

Arizona was unable to win the third game at Utah (3-2), and the Laxcats fell to the Utes 6-5 yesterday morning.

“”We were physically tired because it was our third game in three days, and I think that caused some mental mistakes,”” Luna said.

The Laxcats have a few days to rest until their next game at Chapman March 10.

“”We have a lot of tough games ahead of us,”” Parmelee said. “”We can’t let this weekend get us down because we have a lot to look forward to.””