PAC-10 Softball Rankings

Touting an impressive 28-3 record, the No. 2 Arizona Wildcats softball team will open its always-challenging Pacific 10 Conference softball schedule Thursday at ASU. Here’s a breakdown of the Pac-10 competition:

No. 1 Washington (28-2)

The defending national champions have yet to be unseated as the No. 1 team in the NCAA. Recording a perfect 18-0 start, pitcher Danielle Lawrie has given pundits little doubt to which Pac-10 team the title goes.

No. 2 Arizona (28-3)

A tandem of strong chemistry and a contributing freshman class has given the Wildcats much optimism going into league play despite nagging injuries. This year, Arizona has the pitching to match a deep offensive line-up. How far will they go?

No. 6 UCLA (26-4)

With eight players hitting over .300 and a deep, four-player pitching staff, the Bruins, with their NCAA-leading 10 NCAA Championships, are yet another Pac-10 juggernaut that will be a challenge.

No. 9 Stanford (25-4)

The Cardinal went to Super Regional play last year and fell short against — guess who — the Arizona Wildcats. This year, though, they’re off to a fast start behind freshman ace Teagan Gerhart (18-3), sister of former Stanford football running back Toby Gerhart.

No. 11 ASU (31-4)

With 53 home runs on the year, the Sun Devils are the top-scoring team in the nation as of March 21, averaging 8.48 runs per game.

No. 14 California (28-6)

The Golden Bears roll into conference play having gone 8-1 in their past nine games.

No. 25 Oregon (24-5)

Having very few shutouts this year, the Ducks have ground out a solid winning percentage in close games.

Oregon State (19-14)

Yes, the Beavers are in trouble.

*Rankings are based on team records through March 22