Court hearings set for today

The ASUA Supreme Court will hear the appeals of both disqualified ASUA presidential candidates tonight beginning at 8 p.m., in the Appellate Courtroom, Room 146 of the James E. Rogers College of Law.

The court will conduct Daniel Hernandez’s appeal first, at 8 p.m., with James Allen’s to follow at 9 p.m.

Both candidates are appealing the election violation checks they received during the course of the general election ending March 9. Hernandez is appealing all 11 of the checks he received and Allen is appealing nine of his 11.  

If Allen is able to appeal two of his checks to get to the maximum allowable threshold of nine, he will be declared the new president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, as he received the most votes in the general election. If the court rules that Allen remains disqualified, a special election will be held regardless of the outcome of Hernandez’s appeal in accordance with the ASUA Elections Code.

Due to limited seating available in the room, priority will be given to relevant staff from the ASUA, parties relevant to the cases and media representatives. Once the room has reached capacity, all those wishing to view the proceedings will be asked to wait outside.

Video recording or still photography is strictly prohibited for the hearing, though audio recording is allowed. All cell phones must be turned off or switched into silent mode to observe courtroom decorum.

Parties in the case shall be notified of the court’s decision within 24 hours of the conclusion of oral arguments, as per the Supreme Court rules governing election disputes. The court will publish its decision within 10 business days.