Casa Video hosts Twin Peaks showings to celebrate the show’s upcoming season

Patrons+watch+the+opening+credits+during+a+showing+of+an+episode+of+Twin+Peaks+in+the+Casa+Film+Bar+in+Casa+Video+on+Sunday%2C+Feb.+12%2C+2017.+After+a+26+year+hiatus%2C+the+television+series+is+making+its+much+anticipated+return+on+May+21%2C+2017.+
Rebecca Noble
Patrons watch the opening credits during a showing of an episode of Twin Peaks in the Casa Film Bar in Casa Video on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2017. After a 26 year hiatus, the television series is making its much anticipated return on May 21, 2017.

“Twin Peaks,” a psychological, supernatural drama, has had a cult following since it premiered on ABC on April 8, 1990. It’s one of creator David Lynch’s and Mark Frost’s greatest successes. 

For over two decades since the finale of season two, fans have been waiting for more episodes. Now, after much anticipation, the third season is set to premiere May 21 on Showtime, nearly 26 years after the series’ end. 

To help promote the new season, as well as reminisce and introduce the series to fans old and new, local business Casa Video, 2905 E Speedway Blvd., is hosting “Twin Peaks” nights every Sunday until the premiere. 

Breanna Dixon, the Casa Film Bar events coordinator, said the series seemed like a perfect fit for Casa video. 

“ ‘Twin Peaks’ used to air on Sunday nights; the second season did originally,” she said.

Dixon called these showings a countdown to the season three premiere. The episodes are being shown chronologically. As of Feb. 12, they had just finished the season two premiere episode, “May the Giant Be With You.” Next Sunday, Feb. 19, they will continue with the next episodes.  

“It’s been pretty successful so far,” Dixon said. “Sunday night can be hit or miss. The Superbowl affected attendance, but we had people here for ‘Twin Peaks.’ It’s gotten a very positive response and people ask about it on a day-to-day basis.”   

RELATEDHey, Barkeep!: Casa Film Bar offers more than just drinks

Not only does the countdown serve as a catchup opportunity for Twin Peaks fanatics, but it also helps newbies that have recently discovered the series, Dixon added. 

“A wide variety of people show up, original and new generation, people in their 40s to early 20s,” she said. 

“Twin Peaks” nights have served customers well and have also benefited Casa Video. 

Dixon noted an increase in “Twin Peaks” DVD rentals for those who preferred binge-watching the series. 

Those attending the showings sit at the Film Bar and provide good business. 

The Daily Wildcat observed many customers eating pizza and drinking leisurely, enjoying a relaxing Sunday night with friends and family, watching a beloved show. 

“ ‘Twin Peaks’ is amazing,” said Dominique Giesler, a UA scientist. “I’m revisiting memories. I used to watch it with my friends. This bar is awesome, the events are great, the people that visit are amazing and it’s a fun, interesting, eclectic group.” 

“Twin Peaks” is shown on three screens in the bar, offering everyone, regardless of the seating arrangement, a good view. Subtitles are also provided onscreen to allow everyone to follow the episode, even if they miss a few words. 

RELATED: What’s new this February to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime

Varied seating, such as the bar, tables or comfortable chairs in the corner, provide different settings for each individual’s viewing pleasure. Drinks and food are also available for purchase.

“People are really excited,” Dixon said. “[We’re] just creating that space to talk about ‘Twin Peaks’ and the different theories and histories, introducing people to it. The first night we showed the pilot, a ‘Twin Peaks’ fan with tattoos  showed up.” 

For Dixon, the show has always been near and dear to her own heart. She and her family used to watch it together since its original premiere. 

In the not-so-far future, Casa Video will host a “Twin Peaks” trivia night the last Tuesday in April with “Twin Peaks” related prizes, which will remain a secret until then. 

Dixon believes that there will be more “Twin Peaks” nights in the future.

“Once the new season starts, we’re going to want to know more about the history and background,” Dixon said. 

To get the word out on the screenings, Dixon makes flyers and uses Casa Film Bar’s Instagram account, as well as the Casa Video Facebook page and Twitter. The nights always receive a good deal of word of mouth as well. 

“Twin Peaks” nights offer rediscovery of an old treasure for some, while introducing a new gem to others. 

Friends Derek Kowalczyk and Christian Huskey, a returning UA undergraduate student and a server, happened upon “Twin Peaks” nights accidentally. 

“I used to watch ‘Twin Peaks,’” Huskey said. Huskey has been trying to convince Kowalczyk to watch the series for some time. 

The two went to Casa Video on Saturday for some movies when they discovered the film bar and ended up staying longer than planned. They were back on Sunday night to watch “Twin Peaks.”

On March 3, Casa Video is bringing “Twin Peaks” down to Fourth Avenue with a “Twin Peaks” themed party at the Flycatcher, on 340 E. Sixth St. 

The venue will transform into a surreal Lynchian world complete with performances, a costume contest and drink specials. Tickets will cost $5 online and $10 at the door for those 21 and up. 

The “Twin Peaks” showings offer a diverse environment for fans of all kinds with all the potential for a great time. 

Take a seat and enjoy the company of the “Twin Peaks” cast and its fans. Reminisce or discover Agent Dale Cooper enjoying a slice of cherry pie and a “damn fine cup of coffee.”

Follow Kacie Lillejord on Twitter.